Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Reccomendations on Plant Purchasing. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/reccomendations-plant-purchasing-82209/)

Ebonynivory06 09-28-2011 08:00 AM

Reccomendations on Plant Purchasing.

Hi All! I was wondering what your reccomendations were on where to order plants through online, where I could also have a catalog sent directly to me if at all possible. And also what plants would you reccomend. I have only fake plants in a 29g tank with 2 cichlids and 2 guarami and a 10 g platie tank. I'm thinking about planting them medium - light heavy to start with just to see how it goes. Also I'm looking to have easily maintainable plants that don't require much care.

KendraMc 09-28-2011 08:30 AM

for easy, low light plants: java ferns and water sprite. as to where to get them, it is not uncommon for people on this forum to be selling some (i just bought some water sprite from a person here). unfortunately i can't tell you about online stores, i haven't made it to the point of buying from them yet. i know a lot of people on here have, though, and should be able to give you some really good advice.

Jbrofish8 09-28-2011 08:33 AM

I get all mine from Plantedaquariumscentral.com. Really good pricing and the plants are always nice when they arrive. Usually she throws in extra plants with the orders too.

aunt kymmie 09-28-2011 09:21 AM

I purchase mine from www.aquariumplants.com. Good pricing, good quality plants. The bummer? In order for plants to arrive at their healthiest (and to qualify for the replacement if not) you have to order via overnight shipment.

Santaclaws 09-28-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 843551)
I purchase mine from www.aquariumplants.com. Good pricing, good quality plants. The bummer? In order for plants to arrive at their healthiest (and to qualify for the replacement if not) you have to order via overnight shipment.

I agree they also have pkgs you could order a low light plant pkg or just browse thought the low light plant section I have always found its good to see what you like then draw up a diagram of you scape.:-)

bigfish93 09-28-2011 10:04 AM

when you order your plants, I would recommend staying away from Sweet Aquatics as they seem to be struggling at the moment. Multiple people on this forum have ordered from them in the past couple weeks and most of the plants received have been very small and on the verge of death.

k19smith 09-28-2011 01:23 PM

Just to throw this in so you don't buy a bunch of plants and have them die, you want to make sure you have adequate lighting and most people with low light set ups dose with weekly liquid fertilizers I use flourish complete very cheap and works great.