Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help with possible PKD in pond goldfish! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-possible-pkd-pond-goldfish-82144/)

beachbumhi 09-27-2011 02:51 PM

Help with possible PKD in pond goldfish!

I recently bought a house that house a goldfish pond in the back. With two cats, two dogs, a full time job, and a new baby, the last thing I need is a pond to take care of, so my realtor is slowly taking the pond and plants to her house.

Anyway, one of the goldfish is fat. According to the person I purchased the house from,"There is this really pregnant fish that looks like she is going to explode any day." Obviously, since goldfish don't give birth to live young, this fish isn't pregnant. My concern is that it has PKD, and has for some time (the seller made the statement above on 9/1/11). I haven't seen the fish myself (I'm still in the process of relocating from out of state, so I'm not yet living there), but my realtor has. I emailed her pictures of a fish with PKD and she says that's what the fish in my pond looks like.

I know there's no cure for the disease, but I was wondering what I should do to help the fish or at least make it more comfortable. How do I know if the fish has PKD or something else? I have zero experience with fish, but I'll be finished with my move this weekend and will be living at the new house, and want to help the poor thing as much as I can.

Thanks!

Mikaila31 09-28-2011 11:42 AM

Depends how long it has progressed and just how cronic it is. If the fish is doing okay I would just take care of it normally and keep water extra clean. Once it get to a certain point and the kidney's start to shutdown completely or the fish cannot swim normally euthanasia would probably be the best option.

beachbumhi 09-29-2011 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know anything about this pond or how to keep the water clean. There's a water feature, so the water is constantly being run through what I assume to be a filter. I'll try to find out from the seller if I need to clean the filter and how.

How will I know how advanced the damage is? Are fish euthanized with an injection, like other animals? Are aquatic vets the only ones that will treat fish, or have you had regular cat/dog vets try to help?

Mikaila31 09-29-2011 08:32 PM

Be very careful cleaning the filter. I'm not very familiar with ponds, but any medium you should just rinse out and reuse, don't replace as it can do a lot more harm then good. Other then that changing some of the water with fresh dechlorinated water.

As far as the fish if it is still getting around and eating on its own I would just let it be. Once it becomes clear that the fish is having a hard time moving around properly I would suggest euthanasia. I highly doubt you can find a vet to do this for a reasonable rate. How it is done depends a lot on the size of the fish. There are a number of ways it can be done obviously. What I prefer though is to use clove oil which you can get from the grocery store. It is kinda expensive last I bought some it was $5 for a tiny 1/8 ounce vial. How much you need depends on the size of the fish but usually a little goes a long way. You mix the clove oil in a contain with water and then add the fish. Clove oil has two uses to anesthetize (or sedate) fish temporarily or to euthanize. It works by slowing down their breathing. The only difference between the two uses in the concentration or lenght of time the fish is exposed. Its important to be 100% certain the fish has died before removing it from the solution. Make sure there is absolutely no gill movement. Sedated fish can look a lot like dead fish since they stop swimming and usually turn over on their sides. If you remove a sedated fish from the solution and put it back in regular water it will revive back to its normal self.