Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   A Senegal Bichir question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/senegal-bichir-question-82096/)

koemidvm 09-26-2011 08:58 PM

A Senegal Bichir question

Hi,

I got a Senegal Bichir 4". Feed a mix diet of small chucks of fresh fish meat (smaller than its mouth), soften freeze-dried plankton, and bloodworm. Question is: How do you know if it is constipating? My birchir has this "full-meal" stomach (you know, looks irregular from the outside and looks full) for few days so I am worried... it's swimming around the tank more often these last few days as well.

:-(

Santaclaws 09-26-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koemidvm (Post 841966)
Hi,

I got a Senegal Bichir 4". Feed a mix diet of small chucks of fresh fish meat (smaller than its mouth), soften freeze-dried plankton, and bloodworm. Question is: How do you know if it is constipating? My birchir has this "full-meal" stomach (you know, looks irregular from the outside and looks full) for few days so I am worried... it's swimming around the tank more often these last few days as well.

:-(

I wouldnt worry unless you see signs of no poop at all in the tank if he gets in one position in the tank and never moves like he listless as Senegals get more use to you they move around alot also they do not like bright lights you should have a cave or some rocks he can go under and feel safe also Young ones tend to be piggy but a Bichir with a round fat tummy is a happy Birchir You are better off feeding times 2 a day and only what he eats in hr. Make sure you clean up any raw fish he has not eaten if any gets lost in the tank this can lead to fin rot.If you have any more questions feel free to pm me Pat:-)I have 9 of them and Ive never seen them get constapated.

allenmitchem1 10-03-2011 10:34 AM

bichir

what are good tank mates for them i have tiger barbs a bala shark and a puffer u think they will be ok togather ?

ladayen 10-03-2011 02:54 PM

Ick.. a bichir in a 20g... not good. It needs a much bigger tank.. and less tank mates. Bigger then a 30g as well.

Santaclaws 10-03-2011 03:46 PM

Right now you are ok with the bichir since its small get rid of the Bala sharks they grow upwards to 16 ins you are going to need at least an 8 to 10 ft tank for them . Eventually you will need at least a 75 gal for the senegal. What kind of puffer is it. If it a pea puffer most likely the bichir when it gets bigger.will eat it and the tiger barbs as well. I dont know much about puffers except the pea puffer.Check the fish profiles at the top of the page:-)

Nubster 10-06-2011 11:03 PM

Puffers can be aggressive and probably not a great match for a bichir since they are generally not an active fish thus they would be an easy target for the puffer. That's IMO anyways. Generally bichirs will do well with larger nonaggressive fish. And yeah...the bichir gets big...say good bye to the barbs.

allenmitchem1 10-10-2011 08:48 AM

thanks

thanks for the help u guys well bad news my puffer died and one of my barbs 2 i think its the bichir and too top that off they all got ick thinking bout starting a new tank any ideas need help realy wanna keep my tiger barbs though

allenmitchem1 10-10-2011 11:42 AM

free fish

i have a senegal bichir if anyone wants it too big for my tank i been treating him for ick for bout a week now so he should be bout rid of it must come pick up or make other arrangments thanks