Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How do you get your fish to eat boiled/blanched vegetables? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-do-you-get-your-fish-82095/)

gmate 09-26-2011 09:55 PM

How do you get your fish to eat boiled/blanched vegetables?

So I had read several places that fish love veggies. I have been feeding my fish strictly pellets and flakes since I started the tank (10g) about six months ago. I added a large amount of fish today, 6 zebra danios. So as a treat to all my buddies, I gave them a slice of boiled squash/zucchini about an inch thick. I plopped it right in the middle of the tank, but nobody had any interest. I stuck a pellet or two in it, and after 10 minutes only my glass tetra had started poking around it. I ended up taking it out and breaking it up (it immediately became stringy and floated around the tank). I let them eat it out of my hand for about a minute, ten removed itfrom the tank. There was a ton of vegetable particle floating around. My zebras who hang up top are still going nuts eating, and this is a half hour later.

How do you get your fish to readily eat veggies? Do you slice em small and feed them like pellets, or do you just let them come to the slice in the tank? It's my first time feeding something outsidse of pet store food. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Santaclaws 09-26-2011 10:44 PM

With my plecos I microwave it for about 2 mins but they eat it all up yes some does float around but usually gets eaten by the next morning. You can buy a clipper which you clip on to the vegtable then stick in the tank. Not all fish eat vegtables or need them.:-)

BarbH 09-26-2011 11:34 PM

Also you can use a plastic fork and stick it through the slice and then stick it into the substrate. Sometimes it will take a few times before the fish discover that it is food.

gmate 09-26-2011 11:44 PM

I don't have an issue keeping it sationary or on the bottom, I am more curious as to whether or not most fish will readily eat a particular vegetable without coaxing...or if I have to wean my aquarium into eating the veggie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Santaclaws 09-26-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmate (Post 842148)
I don't have an issue keeping it sationary or on the bottom, I am more curious as to whether or not most fish will readily eat a particular vegetable without coaxing...or if I have to wean my aquarium into eating the veggie.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you are feeding pellets and flakes they are probably getting all they need.Alot of fish just will not eat vegs, now bloodworms never met a fish who would not eat them. lol If its just a treat you would like to give them I would go with the bloodworms.

KendraMc 09-27-2011 10:37 AM

sometimes it takes more than one try before they figure it out. i've been feeding fresh zucchini for my common pleco for a few weeks now, once a week, and each time he eats more of it/finds it earlier.