Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First 55g planted tank. Need Advice on stocking and plant care. Pics included. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-55g-planted-tank-need-advice-82094/)

alwaysoc0nfused 09-26-2011 09:48 PM

First 55g planted tank. Need Advice on stocking and plant care. Pics included.

14 Attachment(s)
I used to have a 20 gallon high with guppies in it for a while but I thought it looked somewhat silly even tho i enjoyed the guppies. So I decided to do something new and challenging and got myself started on a 55 gallon planted tank. I have plants in there now and i will be getting some more in a the next few weeks. There are 6 neon tetras and 2 yellow glo fish in there at the moment. I would love some ideas on what other fish to put in along with some plants. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

ladayen 09-26-2011 10:44 PM

Start with 6(or more) more glofish or zebra danios. That plant shown in the 3rd picture is known as white ribbon I belive and is not an aquatic plant.

alwaysoc0nfused 09-26-2011 11:05 PM

Thats weird, when i bought the plant it was underwater at the pet store..

BarbH 09-26-2011 11:23 PM

I agree I would add more glofish, or you could do the zebra danios. Glofish is actually a zebra danio that have been genetically altered. They ae a shoaling fish and should be in a group of six or more. I agree the plant in the third picture looks like a white ribbon. Some places will sell it as an aquatic plant, but it is not a true aquatic plant and will start to die off in the tank within a couple of months. Otherwise it does look like you are off to a good start. Check out the fish profiles for more ideas of other fish that you may be able to add. Knowing what the hardness and the ph of your water will help. You can find out your gh hardness and kh hardness from your local water people. Most have placed this information online. If you are unable to find the info online than you can always try calling them for the information. For the fish profiles you can find the link at the top of the page second tab from the left.
Also welcome to TFK :-D

Santaclaws 09-26-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysoc0nfused (Post 842086)
Thats weird, when i bought the plant it was underwater at the pet store..

I believe both plant with the white :-) are not aquatic.Did they come with tags. Most of us when we were first learning experienced this another is mongo grass that lots of places sell Petsmart is the one that comes to mind.

alwaysoc0nfused 09-26-2011 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah bought them at petsmart...came as a combo deal. with the big plant in the middle with dark green leaves with the white mark in the middle.

BarbH 09-26-2011 11:37 PM

I have found that petsmart does not always have their plants maked well. With the tubes that ae available in my store some of them will be labled as fully aquatic or semiaquatic. But they are not always good at having things labeled.

alwaysoc0nfused 09-26-2011 11:38 PM

so the two plants with the long green and white leaves i should take out?

BarbH 09-26-2011 11:42 PM

Yes I would, they will eventually die off. You could check and see if you might be able to return them. I am not sure what petsmarts policy is on live plants, but if you could you could exchange them for another couple of plants that you could put in your tank. In the fish profiles section there is also a section on some of the plant profiles that you could check out.

KendraMc 09-27-2011 11:10 AM

the white ribbon plants are actually lucky bamboo, so they are fun to have and easy to keep anyway, just not in water. i had bought some from petco too, not knowing what they were. they are now sitting in a cup of water on my desk and are doing well. they won't do well planted in soil, as the roots aren't strong enough to grow through it. straight water (keep the roots wet but the leaves dry) or gravel and water works well for planting them