Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Canister filter question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/canister-filter-question-82004/)

folion 09-25-2011 08:11 PM

Canister filter question
 
Hi
I just got a used tank and it came with a fluval 405. Now it is going to be a few weeks before I set this tank up while I buy up gear. I plan on doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia like I did with my other tank. And that brings me to my question. Can I hook this filter up to my 20g tank and run it tell I get the other tank ready. Would this help jump start the cycle when I move it to the 75g? Also I am getting a second filter for this tank and it is a Marineland Multistage Canister Filter C-360. The heater will be ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt.

:|

P.S
I am adding all new filter media befor i hook it up to any tank.

bigfish93 09-25-2011 08:17 PM

I would not use that filter on your 20 gallon. That would create quite a bit of current and stress out your fish. Once you get your 75 gallon set up then you can seed it with filter media and substrate from your 20 gallon.

Santaclaws 09-25-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folion (Post 840638)
Hi
I just got a used tank and it came with a fluval 405. Now it is going to be a few weeks before I set this tank up while I buy up gear. I plan on doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia like I did with my other tank. And that brings me to my question. Can I hook this filter up to my 20g tank and run it tell I get the other tank ready. Would this help jump start the cycle when I move it to the 75g? Also I am getting a second filter for this tank and it is a Marineland Multistage Canister Filter C-360. The heater will be ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt.

:|

P.S
I am adding all new filter media befor i hook it up to any tank.

Iam not sure what kind of media it has but if they are sponges you dont need to buy new media just rinse them out. It might be a little strong on your 20 you can try it and see if not yes run it on your 20If it is too strong which it might be take some of your media from your old filter swish it around in your new tank water, also if you can not sure which media you have for your 20add some used media to your new filter, This way you wont have to go the ammonia route. Your tank should cycle in 48 to 36 hrs I start all my new tanks this way and have never lost fish this way.:-D

folion 09-25-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish93 (Post 840649)
I would not use that filter on your 20 gallon. That would create quite a bit of current and stress out your fish. Once you get your 75 gallon set up then you can seed it with filter media and substrate from your 20 gallon.

Ok what the best way to seed it. should i throw a cup of gravil into a mesh bag and throw it in the tank or into one of the filters? Id on't plan to add carbon tell the tank is ready for fish. i would have a tray free in both filters.

zof 09-25-2011 08:37 PM

Do yourself a favor and skip the carbon, no real reason for it in a fish tank that is properly maintained plus you will save money. Your right on about the seeding, you can do it with gravel or take a piece of the old filter material to seed it along.

folion 09-25-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 840692)
Do yourself a favor and skip the carbon, no real reason for it in a fish tank that is properly maintained plus you will save money. Your right on about the seeding, you can do it with gravel or take a piece of the old filter material to seed it along.

Thanks for the reply. I use carbon to remove the brown staining that the drift wood produces. No matter how many times I have boiled the drift wood it still stains the water a little. I like crystal clear water lol.

zof 09-26-2011 12:15 AM

Over time the staining will dilute to the point its no longer visible of course this all depends on the wood, so after a couple months you might try a week with out the carbon to see if the staining is gone. To each there own I like clear water too, but theres some that love the stain.

1077 09-26-2011 02:06 AM

No need to fishless cycle your new tank when you can borrow filter material and gravel from the 20 gal .
Just be sure after seeding the 75 gal with material from the 20 gal, to feed the 75 gal tank a pinch of food each day until a few fish are added.
Without steady source of food, (fish poop,foods) the seed bacteria will begin to die off rather than increase.
Don't add too many fish at one time.;-)

AbbeysDad 09-26-2011 10:43 AM

You really don't need two canister filters on a 75g - the Fluval 405 should work just fine.
As the others have said, no point running the filter in your 20g and many reasons not to - just bio-seed when the time comes with gravel and/or filter material from your 20g. Put a handful of gravel into a mesh bag or cut stocking and suspend in the tank...or, use the gravel in one of the trays in the filter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2