Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Dry start ! help me please. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/dry-start-help-me-please-81964/)

Christople 09-25-2011 12:12 PM

Dry start ! help me please.

I did a dry start and I need to know, How warm does the air have to stay. I am struggling to keep it about 76 but there is water running down the sides of the walls, so it is humid, it is also plastic wrapped, I am really worried about the baby tears drying up because not enough heat or humidity. Any recommendations?

ladayen 09-25-2011 02:07 PM

I'm not really understanding what you're talking about. You mean you started your filter with no water in it?

amazon21 09-25-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 840143)
I'm not really understanding what you're talking about. You mean you started your filter with no water in it?

No, he's talking about the dry start soil substrate method which is where you grow aquatic plants semi-aquatically above water before actually filling the tank. The reason for doing this is because plants use up more nutrients when they grow above ground so this way, once the rest of the water is put in, there will be less nutrients leeching into the water column.

I've never tried a dry start method, but tell me how it goes, I may use it in the future.

Christople 09-25-2011 06:44 PM

I just covered the tank with blankets, now the temp is great... Will do and yes i m starting the plants semiaquaticaly

1077 09-26-2011 02:18 AM

Would use spray bottle with (dechlorinated) water and mist the plant's two or three times a week if leaves look dry.

Christople 09-26-2011 08:19 PM

thats what I've been doing, and now that I got the temp right, I am a happy camper

SinCrisis 09-29-2011 03:05 PM

huh, if you got water running down the sides, your humidity is good enough. As for temp, in a dry start, i find that my plants are far more tolerable of lower temps so I just keep it at room temprature. I just filled my 1.5g which was dry start and my dhg, rosette sword, and brazilian microsword all had no issues with the temps sitting around 70F.

Santaclaws 09-29-2011 03:16 PM

How do they get air if they are covered I have never tried this either put would like to start a shrimp tank with baby tears Thanks.

SinCrisis 09-29-2011 04:11 PM

Its the same as the greenhouse effect, the plant uses the CO2 in the air during the day, and then put CO2 back in the air at night. This method only works with plants that are amphibious, such as DHG, swords, crypts, anubias, some mosses, Dwarf baby tears, etc. It will not work with full aquatic plants.

DSM is recommended for carpeting plants like Dwarf baby tears because these surface cover plants are very prone to floating and grow slow at the start which makes the tank prone to algae. DSM prevents both of these problems and removes the CO2 limitation on the plant allowing it to grow as fast as possible. One major drawback is that some people who do DSM find that a lot of their plants melt when water is added because the leaves are terrestrial and the lack of CO2 causes them to die. Sometimes, they do not recover. Many people who do this method suggest cranking up the CO2 levels after filling and slowly dialing it back to ease the transition.

Christople 09-29-2011 08:24 PM

Thats what i planet to do