Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   How many angels in a 46 gallon bowfront? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/how-many-angels-46-gallon-bowfront-81950/)

finsNfur 09-25-2011 06:40 AM

How many angels in a 46 gallon bowfront?

I currently have a young angelfish in my 46 gallon bowfront, along with 12 praecox and threadfin rainbows, and six otos. I was thinking of adding an angelfish, maybe even two more, although I think three in there would be too tight a squeeze. Would there be enough room for two? Is it generally a bad idea to keep two angels in a tank together? I've heard of aggression issues. If they didn't get along I could put one in my 37, but hopefully that wouldn't happen. Thoughts?

DKRST 09-25-2011 08:43 AM

With two adult angelfish, you'd be slightly "over" the recommended capacity. Of course, that is also influenced by how often you do water changes, your filter type, and the distribution of decorations/plants (swimming room). Some folks will also note that angelifish should be kept in groups of 3-5. My opinion on that is it sometimes depends on the temperament of the individual angelfish! I have one male that is so aggressive I cannot keep him with any other angels. That being said, angelfish do naturally school, and as cichlids, you are going to have aggressive interactions between angelfish - that's just their nature. Two angels, unless they happen to be male & female and form a pair, are likely to have aggression issues. If you like a peaceful tank, I'd recommend against just two angels in the tank.

finsNfur 09-25-2011 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I do 25% water changes every 2-3 days. The filter is an Aqua Clear 110, and I have java ferns, anubias, water sprite, and fake plants, as well as driftwood and a rock cave. The driftwood is a huge thing just covered with java fern, as my angelfish grows that will have to be replaced because it is so large. You are saying what I basically feared that two wouldn't be enough, but three would be overload. :-(

rrcoolj 09-25-2011 02:20 PM

I wouldn't just add one more because that one would be picked on possibly to death. Add like 3 or 4 more and you should be ok. Tank should be large enough to house all of them. Especially with your filtration and water change schedule. You might look at adding another filter though.

finsNfur 09-25-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 840230)
I wouldn't just add one more because that one would be picked on possibly to death. Add like 3 or 4 more and you should be ok. Tank should be large enough to house all of them. Especially with your filtration and water change schedule. You might look at adding another filter though.

Seriously? That would be awesome! Nothing would please me more than having 4-5 angels. :-D

DKRST 09-25-2011 07:57 PM

Your tank's large enough for 3-5 angels, but you are close to maxing out your fish load with your current stocking + more angelfish. If you add 2-4 more angels with your current stock, carefully watch the water quality! Also, as your angels grow, your Otos may become lunch...

Based on some good published research that Byron sent to me when I was doing frequent small water changes, you might do better with larger water changes less frequently, in terms of the average daily "pollutant" levels in the tank.

finsNfur 09-26-2011 07:10 AM

That is very helpful, thank you! And yeah, I was worried about the otos in the future. I plan to move those to my 37, and if I were to get more angels I'd move the rainbowfish, too. I'd probably just have angels in the tank. I might want to do water changes differently too, I had been wondering about that.

BarbH 09-26-2011 10:11 AM

If you were to do only angels in the 46 gallon you would be fine with a group of 5.

Byron 09-26-2011 12:14 PM

Agree. Tight, but do-able without the rainbows.