Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Do I need a better filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/do-i-need-better-filter-8188/)

gus6464 09-10-2007 12:29 AM

Do I need a better filter?

I currently have one of those Top Fin filters which are rebadged Tetra Whisper 10's. I have one Betta and will eventually have a total of 1 Betta, 6 small tetras (neon, lemon, or cardinals), and 2 Oto cats.

My question is do I need a better filter? I was thinking of getting a Marineland Penguin 100 or 150 which I have read are very good filters because of the bio-wheel. Which one do you recommend for my tank? It is 20" long, 12" high, and 10" wide. And I also have 3 different plants (corkscrew vallisnera, java fern on driftwood, and a crypt).

mgamer20o0 09-10-2007 01:04 AM

if its working i dont see any reason to. maybe add a sponge filter as a back up.

gus6464 09-10-2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgamer20o0
if its working i dont see any reason to. maybe add a sponge filter as a back up.

What's a good sponge filter and how do they work?

mHeinitz57 09-10-2007 07:33 AM

YES get a better filter! The topfin filters have one huge drawback, they have no place designated for bacteria growth. Any good filter will have some kind of biomedia (extra sponge, biowheel, ceramic media, etc) that bacteria is allowed to grow on and never gets changed. THe topfin only uses a single biobag, so bacteria will grow on that filter. When you change your cartridge then, you end up throwing away the bacteria colony. The whisper filters are almost the same filter but whisper has added a second black sponge in front of the biobag that is made to remain in the filter and allow bacteria to grow undisturbed. I would suggest moving up to better filter and penguin would be the best filter for that tank.

gus6464 09-10-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeinitz57
YES get a better filter! The topfin filters have one huge drawback, they have no place designated for bacteria growth. Any good filter will have some kind of biomedia (extra sponge, biowheel, ceramic media, etc) that bacteria is allowed to grow on and never gets changed. THe topfin only uses a single biobag, so bacteria will grow on that filter. When you change your cartridge then, you end up throwing away the bacteria colony. The whisper filters are almost the same filter but whisper has added a second black sponge in front of the biobag that is made to remain in the filter and allow bacteria to grow undisturbed. I would suggest moving up to better filter and penguin would be the best filter for that tank.

Would you recommend the penguin 100 or 150?

mgamer20o0 09-10-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus6464
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgamer20o0

What's a good sponge filter and how do they work?

work in two was. you can hook up a air line to it and that would provide bio filter. you could hook up a power head and it would provide bio and mech filtration.

here is a idea for one....
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILT...eDouble300.JPG

mHeinitz57 09-10-2007 03:54 PM

go big with the penguin. For a 10 gallon tank you coould put a 20 or 30 gallon filter on it.

Daz 09-10-2007 05:03 PM

Go for the biggest and best filter you can afford. A cannister is your best bet. There is no such thing as over filteration. :D

gus6464 09-10-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeinitz57
go big with the penguin. For a 10 gallon tank you coould put a 20 or 30 gallon filter on it.

I don't want a tidal wave in the tank though. I guess I will order the penguin 150.

mHeinitz57 09-11-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz
Go for the biggest and best filter you can afford. A cannister is your best bet. There is no such thing as over filteration. :D

THere is if it creates a whirpool in the tank, lol. It's a 10 gallon tank.