Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   First time cichlid owner, woohoo! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/first-time-cichlid-owner-woohoo-81764/)

Jbrofish8 09-23-2011 06:32 AM

First time cichlid owner, woohoo!

3 Attachment(s)
Im thrilled my brand new double red apistos cacatuoides arrived yesterday. These will be my first experience with cichlids!

Anything you cichlid folks think I should know? :D

Heres a few pictures of them floating and settling in their new tank!

aunt kymmie 09-23-2011 09:18 AM

Congrats! I have this same species and LOVE them. When they start coloring up they are awesome!How many did you get (four?) and can you tell yet who is male/female? Who else is in the tank with them? They bred fairly easily (your nicely planted tank is prefect for them), if there aren't too may predators around.

Jbrofish8 09-23-2011 09:28 AM

I paid for 4, 1 male, 3 females. They did throw in an extra female though. I have one small female, you can see her at the bottom of the bag in the first pic, I think she may have a swim bladder issue. Im not sure though.

Shes really cute so I hope she lives, but shes TINY compared to the other girls and she swims along the substrate. Last night she was actually swimming upwards and around the tank, but if she stops swimming she sinks back down to the bottom and rests on the bottom like a mudskipper. She is eating and exploring like the others though, so Im hoping she will pull through as Im not sure what to do for her.

My male is still very young, hes smaller than the 3 females. Hes in the bottom right picture. :)

The only other thing in the tank right now is some Lemon tetra and a mystery snail.

aunt kymmie 09-23-2011 12:38 PM

I'm not sure I'd do anything at this point if I were you. When I first got mine they were REALLY tiny. So tiny you couldn't make out who was going to be male/female and they were devoid of any real cacatuoide coloring. Mine would stay along the substrate (sometimes just "sitting" on the substrate and not really moving) and it took awhile before any of them truly started exploring the tank. Even now they never venture above the bottom third of the tank level, which is normal for this species. You say she eats and is exploring, which is good. When you say "sinks" to the bottom, she sinks without moving any fins at all??

Jbrofish8 09-23-2011 12:42 PM

I only watched her a little bit last night before bed, but if I remember correctly, as soon as she stops moving her fins she sinks.

Actually if you look at the picture of the male (bottom right) you can see the little girl there under the chain sword leaf. She is like you say, very devoid of color, compared to the others. I'll watch her more tonight and see.

The others stay close to the bottom too, like the picture of the 2 females there, but the little girl is literally, ON the substrate bottom.

MarinePsycho 09-25-2011 12:42 PM

Wow those cichlids are cute. I would totally trade my cichlids for those cichlids if I didn't love them so much xD.

Also what tank are those cichlids in? I might convince my mom to get some cichlids for our 15 gallon if we get a new tank for our current fish in there.

Jbrofish8 09-25-2011 12:50 PM

They're in a 29g. They are SO cute I agree!

Its so frustrating trying to feed them too, my tetra are PIGS and eat everything. :(

MarinePsycho 09-25-2011 12:54 PM

Lol I so know what your talking about, my guppys are just like that.

aunt kymmie 09-25-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 (Post 840124)
They're in a 29g. They are SO cute I agree!

Its so frustrating trying to feed them too, my tetra are PIGS and eat everything. :(

You can always use a turkey baster to shoot food down to the bottom for them. It's what I do for mine. If not the Columbian tetras would get ALL the food.