Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Brine Shrimp/Artemia Hatching and Raising to Adulthood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/brine-shrimp-artemia-hatching-raising-adulthood-81711/)

mrwes008 09-22-2011 11:40 AM

Brine Shrimp/Artemia Hatching and Raising to Adulthood

I have been experimenting with raising brine shrimp. The hatching part is really quite simple and although a part of the process i am more interested in feeding fish rather than fry so looking to raise them to adulthood. Raising them to adulthood, for me, is proving to be difficult to say the least. But due to my nature i will not stop until I've managed to successfully raise them to adulthood in worthwhile numbers.

I'm posting my efforts in a video diary on you tube. I would be more than grateful for any advice and comments.

http://youtu.be/PjbdEPEQR4I

BarbH 09-22-2011 12:57 PM

Hello and welcome to TFK :-DFrom my understanding adult brine shrimp actually have very little nutritional value, it is the baby brine shrimp that are full of nutrition. Good luck.

mrwes008 09-22-2011 01:12 PM

I was under the very same impression about the nutritional value of adult brine shrimp. I understand the nutritional value of the newly hatched brine shrimp/nauplii is rich in mainly fats which is beneficial to the growth of fry, but then as they reach adulthood the brine shrimp are more packed with protein which is good for adult fish. I've also read that the food you feed the brine shrimp when raising plays a significant role in their nutritional value and therefore their nutritional value as a food source for fish. There is so much information available about all aspects of raising brine shrimp, unfortunately much of which seems more like mis-information. This is one of the main reasons I've started studying aquaculture.

mrwes008 09-22-2011 01:13 PM

Oh and thankyou for your kind welcome.

mrwes008 09-24-2011 05:04 AM

Newly uploaded day 2 video of my raising and hatching brine shrimp experiment.

DIY Raising And Hatching Brine Shrimp / Artemia Eggs Day 2 - YouTube

Mike 09-24-2011 06:23 AM

Hi mrwes08,

I am very much looking forward to seeing your results with raising brine shrimp to adulthood. I purchased the Brine Shrimp Direct Hatchery Dish myself and followed the instructions to a successful yield, but it seemed the baby brine shrimp were too small for all but the blue green chromis in my saltwater tank. I wondered about raising them to maturity and then trying to feed them to my larger fish, but the thought of setting up an ecosystem just for that purpose seemed too much. I'm curious to see your results and how long it takes to raise brine shrimp to a size suitable for consumption by fish larger than fry or other small fish.

mrwes008 09-24-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 838549)
Hi mrwes08,

I am very much looking forward to seeing your results with raising brine shrimp to adulthood. I purchased the Brine Shrimp Direct Hatchery Dish myself and followed the instructions to a successful yield, but it seemed the baby brine shrimp were too small for all but the blue green chromis in my saltwater tank. I wondered about raising them to maturity and then trying to feed them to my larger fish, but the thought of setting up an ecosystem just for that purpose seemed too much. I'm curious to see your results and how long it takes to raise brine shrimp to a size suitable for consumption by fish larger than fry or other small fish.

Hi and thank you for your posting. I myself have had great success with hatching brine shrimp. The hatching part seems quite simple and after 24hrs a mass or orange nauplii occupy the hatchery. My experiment is mainly focusing on the raising to adulthood part. The newly hatched brine shrimp(Nauplii) are an excellent food source for fry as they are loaded with fats from their yolk sac which is highly beneficial to fry. Once the brine shrimp reach adulthood they are loaded with protein which is subsequently highly beneficial to adult fish. I myself am using the most simplest of setups as you can see in my video diaries. I do not have the space to provide a complex ecosystem for them, but having said that what we all do as avid fish keepers is indeed set up an ecosystem for our fish. Therefore why not provide the same detail when coming to providing food for them. The beauty, i believe, in raising live food is that we can 'load' the food with much 'goodness' and therefore pass this on to our beloved fish. It also gives us the opportunity to know exactly what we are feeding our fish.
I'm studying aquaculture to ensure that my experiments at raising brine shrimp are as successful as possible. What I'm also hoping to show with my experiment is that the whole process can be carried out with the simplest of methods in the average home.

mrwes008 09-25-2011 06:45 AM

Newly updated day 3 of my raising brine shrimp experiment.

DIY Raising And Hatching Brine Shrimp / Artemia Eggs Day 3 - YouTube

AbbeysDad 09-25-2011 10:02 AM

So lets look all the required parameters to raise brine shrimp to adulthood.

Water: We'll need a hydrometer to ensure we maintain the correct salinity. Use sea salt if/when mixing. We'll also need some kind of filtration or water changes as required to ensure decent water quality - above all, do not overfeed!

Oxygen: An air stone on very low at one corner of the tank.

Food: real or powdered algae, brewers (or active?) yeast, some say wheat flour and (powdered?) egg yolk may be used. Brine shrimp are filter feeders, so they do not have mouths that chew.
The food will be key in producing a nutritious shrimp for our fish.

It will be about 4 weeks from hatching to maturity. Under good conditions, they might be bred to produce a near endless supply.

Having written the above, I saw a youtube video where a fella hatches brine shrimp and puts the contents in a bucket outside where it gets morning sun, covered with florescent light plastic cover and feeds with dried algae (no air stone, no filtration). He rotates a few of these buckets and periodically nets adult brine shrimp to feed fish. Although seasonal, his process seems pretty effortless. The (morning) sunlight affords warmth as well as promotes some natural algae.

I have often wondered about the extension of the hobby that raises live food for fish. Brine shrimp, daphnia, worms... Long ago, I hatched brine shrimp for fry and did grow some to adulthood using yeast, but these days I buy frozen and it always creates a feeding frenzy ;-)