Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Aquatic plants converted to Bog style plants ?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anubias , swords , java ferns , and possibly any other plants can be converted to bog plants ? If so , what are the steps in taking to convert them from aquatic to bog . Thanks in advance .

#2 ·
The plants you name are by nature "bog" or "marsh" plants. This is explained in our profiles [second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, or in posts if the name shades as it will if used exactly as in the profile, you can click on the name] but I'll briefly recap.

Bog plants spend roughly half the year emersed and half submersed. The two forms of leaves may be quite different, depending upon species. So when moving the plant from one environment to the other, expect the existing leaves to yellow and die and new growth to emerge that may be different.

The roots should always be in water when these plants are moved to an emersed environment. And the air should be kept moist and warm, which is easily achieved by having a glass cover over the tank.

These plants adapt fine to fully-submersed cultivation, and many are the mainstay of aquarium plants. I have never personally moved them to fully-emersed cultivation, so I cannot say if this works on a permanent basis with all species or not; as noted earlier, in nature some of them spend half the year emersed and half submersed. And this only works with true bog plants; true aquatic plants such as Vallisneria, Aponogeton and some stem plants will not live emersed.

Byron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.