Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   sand help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-help-8151/)

MegK 09-08-2007 04:58 PM

sand help?

kay, well the aquria sand at the pet store is ridiculous, so i read that play sand or pool filter sand would be great.

but is there certain brands that arent good? so far ive found one type (i cant remember the name... first word starts with an N and the second a S?)

is any old filter sand good? or does it need to be "special"

i read about "untreated" but im not sure if this sand is or isnt.

any one that can help me out?

MegK 09-09-2007 08:36 AM

i also wanted to say but it wouldnt let me edit cuz it was too late lol

if silica sand is good, what should i look for in the sand ingredients that would be harmful?

GregV 09-09-2007 09:37 AM

Im not sure, I think some people around here get their sand form the hardware store, but im not sure what kind.

i think the only difference is there is ALOT more maintance involved in this type of sand as it compacts much quicker and has to be stired.

mgamer20o0 09-10-2007 01:07 AM

most people use pool sand you dont have to clean it as much. many people dont clean the pool sand but i still think you should.

MegK 09-10-2007 06:12 AM

i was going to clean it just to make sure there was nothing crushed to small or dust like?lol

but ok then no one is saying anything bad about so i guess ill buy a bag sometime soon :)

caferacermike 09-10-2007 06:28 AM

Keep in mind that sand can be a dangerous substrate to work with.

1). It packs so tightly as to prevent much circulation. If crud gets mixed into it you are not going to be able to remove it.

2). It can be sharp and wear down the barbels and skin of small delicate catfishes and other bottom dwellers.

3). When siphon cleaning it has a tendency to quickly end up in your 5g bucket.

4). Sand can wreak havoc on pumps and motors.

I set up a 20g tank awhile back to be used as a planted tank. It took a very long time for everything to cycle together. I'd say after about 1 year the plants finally took off. I could not believe the places I'd find the sand. I had an Eheim canister filter and the intake was 4" above the sand yet it would constantly find it's way into the filter. I did not want to disturb the sand bed, and it's difficult to do so when full of plants so I did lots and lots of water changes on that tank.

If I was you I'd check around at your local landscaping supply house. Our LFS are kind enough to stock a local blasting sand. It is very large particle quartz that has been dulled after repeated blasting. When the sandblaster says it's no good they bag it and sell it to us for about 10 cents a pound. I noticed it at the landscape supply house as well.

mgamer20o0 09-10-2007 11:05 AM

i sponge over the intake is a quick and easy fix to keep sand out of the filter.

when i am using the gravel vac with sand i end up with a couple oz of sand if that. thats just when i am going quick and careless.

know many people who have sand in the tank full of bottom dwellers. they nor myself have ever had any problems.

yes it can pack in there.... more common with play sand. many people add chop sticks to the end of the gravel vac to mix it up some. the bad part if it doesnt get mixed up by your self or plants or fish it can forum deadly gas pockets. plants MTS gravel vac with chop sticks once a month should fix any problem. i had sand in my 120 for 3+ years never had any problems.

MegK 09-10-2007 03:02 PM

ok now im worried

im talking about pool filter silica sand...

mgamer20o0 09-10-2007 03:24 PM

if your really worried about it and dont think the risk is worth it then stick to what you have. its better to know the worst case before hand.

i know countless amounts of people who use sand and never had a problem. in the end its up to you.

cullens089 09-10-2007 03:32 PM

i have sand in my tank and its not that bad to deal with. i think it looks way nicer too.