Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquaripure filter-Does it work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquaripure-filter-does-work-81496/)

trapperwolves 09-20-2011 12:20 PM

Aquaripure filter-Does it work?

Has anyone ever tried using the Aquaripure filter (Aquaripure.com)?

You remove all biological media from the current filter being used. You then install the Aquaripure which is a stand alone filter. It claims to eliminate all nitrates making water changes of 35% needed only every 2 or 3 months. If this really works it would be great not to do as many water changes.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Trapperwolves

KendraMc 09-20-2011 01:25 PM

well, first off, water changes aren't primarily about nitrates, they are about the other chemicals (hormones and the like) that the fish naturally release into the water. those aren't broken down or used by plants and aren't always removed by filter material. in low quantities they aren't a problem, but if allowed to get too concentrated will be very stressful to the fish, which can in turn kill them. ammonia/nitrite/nitrates aren't the only organic chemicals you need to worry about, they're just the only ones you can easily test for.

AbbeysDad 09-20-2011 06:55 PM

Yes, I believe it does work by culturing anaerobic bacteria that can process/neutralize nitrates.
However, Kendra is correct, there's more 'pollution' in old water - it's not all about nitrates.
I also think the ability to push out partial water changes is more important in salt water aquariums where mixing salt water adds complexity and expense (unless you're by the ocean).
For fresh water, you can't really beat a weekly 50% water change to freshen the water. Sure, it takes a little time, but it's the 'best medicine' to maintain a healthy tank.

woaussie 09-20-2011 07:18 PM

My well water nitrates are at 20ppm right out of the fawcett. Im in the country around some farm animals causing my nitrates to be where they are.
I do at least a 30% water change every week. Would this type system help my situation at all?
Its been suggested to use a Phos reactor and Seachem De-Nitrate to run on the tank Its 90 gallons. I know it would probally help lower it down some. If it could be maintained at around 10ppm I would be happy. I do not have the tank over loaded by any means and never over feed. When you start with nitrates in the beggining they still build up fast. I run an Eheim 2075 filter which the primary and secondary pads are cleaned every two weeks and the complete filter cleaned once a month. No algae problems at all. Pristine water always. Ive also thought about Reverse Osmosis units. They are pretty costly and I talked with several manufactures of them They would not commit how much nitrate even at my 20ppm level they would remove. Alot of money to spend if it does not work.

trapperwolves 09-20-2011 07:27 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I really appreciate it,
Trapperwolves

Byron 09-21-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woaussie (Post 833782)
My well water nitrates are at 20ppm right out of the fawcett. Im in the country around some farm animals causing my nitrates to be where they are.
I do at least a 30% water change every week. Would this type system help my situation at all?
Its been suggested to use a Phos reactor and Seachem De-Nitrate to run on the tank Its 90 gallons. I know it would probally help lower it down some. If it could be maintained at around 10ppm I would be happy. I do not have the tank over loaded by any means and never over feed. When you start with nitrates in the beggining they still build up fast. I run an Eheim 2075 filter which the primary and secondary pads are cleaned every two weeks and the complete filter cleaned once a month. No algae problems at all. Pristine water always. Ive also thought about Reverse Osmosis units. They are pretty costly and I talked with several manufactures of them They would not commit how much nitrate even at my 20ppm level they would remove. Alot of money to spend if it does not work.

The best solution in this case would be live plants.

And I completely agree with the posts of KendraMC and AbbeysDad on the value of water changes and there is absolutely no substitute.