Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Need help with Echinodorus Tenellus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-help-echinodorus-tenellus-81491/)

BarbH 09-20-2011 11:54 AM

Need help with Echinodorus Tenellus

Okay got a message from sweet aquatics letting me know that the sagittaria subulata that I ordered I will not be able to get, because the condition of the plants that they have in right now are not suitable for shipping :-( I may possibly be able to replace it with something different, but I am not completely sure how well it will work with my setup. A possibility is Echinodorus Tenellus, pygmy chain sword instead. What I worry about is that my lighting might not be strong enough for the plant. This will be going into my 50 gallon tank, I have a split hood light fixture single T8 bulb length 18 inches. The bulbs are marineland full spectrum daylight. From the pictures that I have in my aquarium tab will help to give an idea of the intensity of the light. Would the pygmy chain sword do alright with the set up that I have right now or will I run into issues. My order is suppose to go out today or tommorrow so I need to let them know fairly quickly if I will do a substitute. Thanks.

Boredomb 09-20-2011 01:13 PM

Well the profile says it does fine with low to moderate lighting. I tried it once in my tank and couldn't get it to grow and I have a bit more lighting then you do but everyones tanks are different so you might be alright?

Boredomb 09-20-2011 01:17 PM

Mine also might have been from lack of nutrients as I tried it when I first started trying to grow plants

Byron 09-20-2011 01:54 PM

I have the Sagittaria subulata in tanks with the narrow-leaf form of Helanthium tenellum [the true name, see my article, though it is still widely seen under the old Echinodorus name] and find H. tenellum to be much easier under my moderate light. My 33g is not bright at all, with the floating Ceratopteris, yet H. tenellum does fine. Slower to send out runners, definitely, but still fine. It will be much faster with runners in an enriched substrate or with substrate tabs, but not necessary; Flourish Comprehensive weekly will suffice. One of my favourite plants as it suits any sized tank.

Byron.

BarbH 09-20-2011 10:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted sweet aquactics to let them know that I will do the pygmy chain as a substitute for the sagittaria subulata, which they will substitute the quantity that I ordered the sagittaria, for the same price and quantity on the pygmy chain. So hopefully my order will go out tomorrow and I will have my plants by the end of the week.