Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Wierd story (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/wierd-story-81445/)

Yolie1461 09-19-2011 08:45 PM

Wierd story
 
ok so I went to the store with my mom and my boyfriend to get my jack dempsy a heater for the winter because my old one broke. He is about a foot long. Ok so I put the heater in there to let it sit for 15 minuets before turning it on like it said and I fixed the bubble accessories that were in there and I was fine but then wen I went to change the filter I felt a shock throughout my hand. My boyfriend put his finger in the water and it didn't shock him so I tired it again and it shocked me. Note: I had my 2 filter systems plugged in, the bubble systems plugged in and the 2 lights plugged in. The heater WAS NOT plugged in. MY mom tried it and it didn't shock her. Another thing is I have braces but i dont know if that would affect anything maybe it does idunno but what doesnt make sense is that a few seconds before this happened my whole arm was submerged in the 55 gallon water. another wierd thing is my boyfriend had his finger in the water and i touched his arm and it still shocked me. I have everything plugged into a power surge protector. I don't know what to do.
I went into my room where my other fish tank is and put my fingers in that but i didn't get shocked it is only in that one fish tank. have you ever heard of this before?

zof 09-20-2011 02:36 PM

Weird, unplug things until it no longer happens, sounds like something is grounding out in the water, after you figure out what it is look for any damaged wires or anything thats metal that could be touching the water. Either that or you just have an electric personality.

TexasTanker 09-21-2011 08:45 AM

I'd be curious as to which of you were wearing shoes and what else if anything each of you were touching. Braces don't make you more susceptible to electrocution. Being bare foot or wearing inadequate foot wear while playing with electricity does. I'd suggest you examine everything you have plugged in and ensure all your grounds and wiring are in place. Keep in mind, you're getting electrocuted because you're completing a circuit. Once you do that, your fish have no way of getting grounded to escape the shock. So easy on the experimentation.

twocents 09-30-2011 04:59 PM

scary

wannalearn 10-01-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 834332)
I'd be curious as to which of you were wearing shoes and what else if anything each of you were touching. Braces don't make you more susceptible to electrocution. Being bare foot or wearing inadequate foot wear while playing with electricity does. I'd suggest you examine everything you have plugged in and ensure all your grounds and wiring are in place. Keep in mind, you're getting electrocuted because you're completing a circuit. Once you do that, your fish have no way of getting grounded to escape the shock. So easy on the experimentation.


all good ideas, but to let you now, getting grounded does not escape you from being shocked. as electricity is in a constant state of searcing for a ground, so the reason she got shocked is, she was the ground, and the werent shocked as they were not.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2