Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Need help with Angel Fish stocking and Tankmates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/need-help-angel-fish-stocking-tankmates-81411/)

low05011487 09-19-2011 03:53 PM

Need help with Angel Fish stocking and Tankmates

Hi Folks :-)

A few weeks back I added 3 small Juvenile Scalare Angelfish (1 blacklaced and 2 marbled) to my 40gallon (UK imperial) community aquarium, consisting of corydoras catfish, diamond neon tetras, platy's and swordtails and one very evil and agressive dwarf gourami which I had to move as the 15 gallon he was in shattered. I also have a 20gallon tank of guppies and molly's but couldnt move him there because of the salt.

Anyway so I have now acquired a new 55 gallon (imperial) 78cm tall tank to move the angel fish over, as i appreciate they get very big and although they are still very small the Gourami is harrassing them to death. But before I move them over i obviously have to let it cycle.

What I would like to ask is:

1) Is a UK 55 gallon big enough for these 3 Angel fish as a permanent home for their adult lifes?

2) If this stocking is fine, is it ok to have just 3 (I hear bad things come in three's), so could I add another angelfish or would it be unrealistic given how big they can get?

3) What other tankmates could I have if possible in terms of shoaling fish or other cichlids? I already have all the livebearers, tetras and cory catfish in the other 2 tanks so would like something a little different?

4) Aquascaping and theme ideas for the newtank?

Many Thanks in advance.

Byron 09-19-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

1) Is a UK 55 gallon big enough for these 3 Angel fish as a permanent home for their adult lifes?
Yes. And see next answer.

Quote:

2) If this stocking is fine, is it ok to have just 3 (I hear bad things come in three's), so could I add another angelfish or would it be unrealistic given how big they can get?
I would get two more for a total of five. Angelfish are cichlids, and male cichlids are territorial and can get aggressive to other males and even females. [This can intensity at spawning.] Having 5 means less chance of one of the 3 being picked on, aggression is spread out more, if it is there; individual fish can be aggressive to varying degrees, so we're talking very general here. And angels are naturally shoaling fish, they live in groups, so this is all more "natural" and thus more likely to be successful.

Spawning is the issue that may cause the most grief, and as with all cichlids in a suitable environment they will spawn, and often. If it is your intention to have a spawning pair, when a male and female have obviously paired it would be best to move them to another tank such as your 40g to spawn. Or keep them and get rid of the other angels, to another hobbyist or something. But that's if you want to raise angelfish.

Quote:

3) What other tankmates could I have if possible in terms of shoaling fish or other cichlids? I already have all the livebearers, tetras and cory catfish in the other 2 tanks so would like something a little different?
Other fish, termed "dither fish" with cichlids, is a good thing. I would not get any other cichlids though. There are some that work, but if this is your first cichlid experience you will likely have your hands full with angels.;-)

Tankmates for angels must be carefully selected; any fish that may tend to fin nip is a no. Angels being quiet and sedate, no boisterous or too active fish, as this can unsettle them, causing stress and that means poor health. If you have a read of our profile of the Scalare Angelfish [click on the shaded name, and profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top] it mentions suitable fish.

Quote:

4) Aquascaping and theme ideas for the newtank?
If you want a true angelfish biotope, you could have playsand for the substrate, and bogwood on the bottom and branches vertical. Floating plants would add the needed shade. Angels come from very dark waters and will be more relaxed and thus healthier if they have less light over them, and branches for camouflage. The vertical stripe pattern on wild angels is suggestive of their need for vertical branches or plants.

If you want a more "colourful" tank, you can have plants. Echinodorus bleherae (sword plant) is ideal, being tall, and angels will use the leaves as spawning sites. Pygmy chain sword can work on the substrate, use sand again or fine gravel, a dark colour. Floating pants again, same reason.

This should get you started thinking.:-)

Byron.

low05011487 09-28-2011 06:37 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Byron , it is much appreciated :-)

The new tanks is currently cycling. Upon your advice I set up an amazon theme Biotope with Manznita wood branches and some tall and short swords and vallisnera gigantea, all very low tech with some unipac fine small stone sand and it looks nice and natural. The only Problem I found was finding a background tall enough, but all is sorted.

Upon your advice I will purchase two more juvenile angel fish, I like the look of the Koi and blushing ones and have decided on a small school of diamond tetras, to keep a uniformed look, since my 40g is so technicolour!

I am wondering though as to what fish for the bottom level. I ahve experience with Cory's but found the panda and bandits I have, have been fragile when moved or stressed. any ideas.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Byron 09-28-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low05011487 (Post 844062)
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Byron , it is much appreciated :-)

The new tanks is currently cycling. Upon your advice I set up an amazon theme Biotope with Manznita wood branches and some tall and short swords and vallisnera gigantea, all very low tech with some unipac fine small stone sand and it looks nice and natural. The only Problem I found was finding a background tall enough, but all is sorted.

Upon your advice I will purchase two more juvenile angel fish, I like the look of the Koi and blushing ones and have decided on a small school of diamond tetras, to keep a uniformed look, since my 40g is so technicolour!

I am wondering though as to what fish for the bottom level. I ahve experience with Cory's but found the panda and bandits I have, have been fragile when moved or stressed. any ideas.

Many thanks again for all your help.

You're most welcome. Any of the corys will work; you're right, C. panda particularly can be very sensitive, but all corys do not like being moved much. Once settled, they should be OK. An established tank is always safer (not just cycled, but established for a couple months). Other substrate fish with or without corys can include the Whiptail Catfish (normal or the red form, both in the profiles), otos (not truly substrate), small pleco species (up to 5 inches). Farlowella if soft acidic water. This is all thinking only Amazonian fish, keeping it true to the habitat.