Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   induce labor... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/induce-labor-81370/)

josh111310 09-19-2011 01:23 AM

induce labor...

does anybody know what i can do to help induce labor for our lyretail dalmation molly?

BarbH 09-19-2011 01:47 AM

I would let nature take its course. When she is ready to drop her fry she will, trying to make her drop her fry before she is ready will be stressful on her and could be also for the fry.

josh111310 09-19-2011 01:57 AM

she has two of her previous fry in the tank with her they are about 5 weeks old and there are also three fancy finned red tetra in there...do you think she would be more comfortable with the tetras out of there? The only thing i worry about switching them over to our 35 gal. is we have a needlenose gar in there and i dont want our tetras to be eatin by her because she is about 7 in. and our 3 tetras range from about an inch to almost 2 inches.

BarbH 09-19-2011 02:06 AM

What size tank is she in with the other fish? Also did she drop her previous fry in the tank with the tetras?

josh111310 09-19-2011 02:12 AM

shes in a 5 gal. and the tetras are new we just got them 3 days ago and she has been with them for 2...and no she didnt drop the fry with the tetras, she was prego when we got her, she dropped the previous fry in the tank she is in with only her mate which is now in the other tank, a common pleco which is in the other tank as well...i feel like the two previous fry are not a concern to her but im not sure about the tetras, she is acting fine and eating well...but she is due at anytime now, she concieved on the 28th of last month so her 30 days will be up soon and her belly has already squared off

josh111310 09-19-2011 02:13 AM

we do have a breeder net that we kept the other fry in but i dont want to put her in there too soon and stress her, causing her to abort the pregnancy

BarbH 09-19-2011 12:41 PM

I would leave her where she is at now. My platys drop their fry in the community tank all the time. Moving the tetras would ensure a higher survival rate of the fry, but with the other fish that you have in the larger tank I understand your reservations in moving them to the larger tank. On a note on your stocking from a bit of research it looks like the needle nose gar needs a 75 gallon tank or larger. Also with tetras they are a shoaling fish and need to be in groups of 6 or more. In smaller groups there is a tendancy for aggression to come out because of stress which can be seen in the form of fin nipping. The issue right now is that in the 5 gallon you do not have enough room to have that many tetras.

josh111310 09-19-2011 02:19 PM

well our needlenose is still young and we do plan on getting a bigger tank once we move, do you think i should move the tetras to the community tank? we can grab a couple more of them if need be they are extremely cheap lol...i know her previous fry will not bother her and the more i look at it the less i think our needlenose will be able to eat our smallest tetra

SeaHorse 09-19-2011 05:38 PM

My Molly dropped two batches of fry 35 days between batches and No male in close contact. A plastic divider between them. So it's likely any day, like maybe tonight. Fish often drop their fry in the early morning hours too so check tomorrow morning, each morning for the next few days.
Is she hiding at all ?

josh111310 09-19-2011 06:53 PM

no shes not really hiding...she hasnt been swimming around near as much as usual but she is still semi aggresively eating. We have been keeping an eye on her and i did move the tetras out of her tank a couple of hours ago to try and help her feel more comfortable...and to take the risk of them nipping at her out of the equasion lol...and thankfully our needlenose gar has not even bothered with them but she did just eat last night so we will see how the next couple of days blow over as far as that goes