Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   YoYo Loaches and with big mean fishies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/yoyo-loaches-big-mean-fishies-8117/)

beetlebz 09-06-2007 07:33 PM

YoYo Loaches and with big mean fishies

So... im only a week or so away from beginning to cycle my 110 gallon tall tank. I have settled on the following

3 green severums
3 gold severums
1 common pleco
2 blue gourami

and for right now thats it. I was GOING to originally get a red tail black shark to patrol the bottom, that or a rainbow shark but then I got thinking, I dont want to jump right into VHO lights due to the price, which would leave the bottom of my tank not a ton of light. which lead me to yoyo loaches which ive read prefer subdued lighting.

how would 4 or 5 yoyo loaches enjoy the bottom of my 110? its a good 48" x 24" surface area for the bottom of the tank. would they....

A) do well considering I know alot of loaches like a strong current, and I wont have much of one at all (i might add a powerhead just for the bottom of the tank later)

B) be able to defend themselves from the severums and gouramis should they try to bully them

C) do ok with natural soft gravel (not sharp at all)

D) get along with a RTBS or Rainbow Shark? (not necessary, just curious)

Lupin 09-06-2007 07:48 PM

The yoyo loaches will be okay. Sevs hardly will bully their other tankmates other than members of their own species. But why did you consider the common plec for your tank?:)

beetlebz 09-06-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
But why did you consider the common plec for your tank?:)

welp, when I was green to the hobby (or emerald, for julies sake :bluelaugh:) I was advised to get a pleco to help keep things clean. unfortunately noone told me until I joined the forum that they get 35 feet long lol SO hes got alot of personality and hes really fun to watch sometimes, so rather than give him away to a pet store or some such hes going to live in my 110 :)

beetlebz 09-06-2007 07:56 PM

Oh and maybe a pair of discus too, i forgot about them if theres enough room, but theyre peaceful anyway <shrug>

jsm11482 09-06-2007 09:13 PM

Discus do well in a species-only tank and in groups of 6+. They will be shy around other fish that move fast, etc. They just like to hang out and swim around at their leisure. I wouldn't recommend discus for you unless you do only discus! (plus the plec, bottom feeders, etc.)

Lupin 09-06-2007 09:16 PM

Wouldn't even try to mix both sevs and discus in one tank.

beetlebz 09-06-2007 09:26 PM

aww nuts. well, i can still do the loaches :)

and would they get along with a RTBS?

Lupin 09-06-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
aww nuts. well, i can still do the loaches :)

and would they get along with a RTBS?

Yes. Just provide plenty of hiding places. Yoyos are too boisterous to busy themselves rivalling the RTBS for territories.

beetlebz 09-06-2007 09:43 PM

i know its the wrong section but I dont want to start a whole new thread to take up space... but umm If i went with cory cats instead of loaches would a RTBS bother them too?

Lupin 09-06-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
i know its the wrong section but I dont want to start a whole new thread to take up space... but umm If i went with cory cats instead of loaches would a RTBS bother them too?

Yes. We've discussed that in another thread. Loaches are much more preferable than cories. Cories will certainly not tolerate being harassed.