Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Schooling... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/schooling-8114/)

Mating Slinkys 09-06-2007 04:46 PM

Schooling...

OK, as a few of you may know, i have just about finished cycling my 52g, the new home for my Angels and my plec, which means there will be space in the 35 for some new fishes! Yay!

So, i have already have a school of 8 Pygmy corie sin there, and would lie to increase this a bit. Is there a good number for pygmies, or an upper limit? I'd like to go to about 15-20, but wonder if that would take over the tank a little.

Also, if i add the new pygmys all in one go, is there gonna be a problem with them getting on with the ones in there already. I'd really like to have one really big school, not two rival ones!

Cheers!

tophat665 09-06-2007 05:06 PM

There's no upper limit on a school of pygmy cories. They naturally school in the hundreds to thousands.

Mating Slinkys 09-06-2007 05:08 PM

Mmmm, thousands of cories...

Lupin 09-06-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys

I'd love it.;) For a 52g, I would love 30 of them.:mrgreen:

Falina 09-07-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

:D :D :D :D :D

Mating Slinkys 09-08-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

For a 52g, I would love 30 of them.
It's the 35g they are going into, so i reckon boost the current school of 8 up to about 20?

Lupin 09-08-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

It's the 35g they are going into, so i reckon boost the current school of 8 up to about 20?

I'd stick with the smaller species to be able to do that.

tophat665 09-08-2007 08:42 AM

Pygmy Cories are snack size for angels. They're smaller than neons, and they spend a lot of time in the mid water. I wouldn't mix them.

Falina 09-08-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Pygmy Cories are snack size for angels. They're smaller than neons, and they spend a lot of time in the mid water. I wouldn't mix them.

I think the angels are being moved to the 52g and the cories staying in the 35g?

Mating Slinkys 09-09-2007 12:25 PM

I may have been unclear here so:

The angels and the Pygmy's are currently both in the 35, and as the Pygmys are pretty much full grown, there are many hiding spots and the angels are not too big there hasn't been any impromtu snack making by the angels.

At some point over the next week or so, the angels will be moving into their new home (the 52g), along with Brian the plec, leaving space in the 35g for some more fishes.

I love the pygmies, they are really active and playful, so i'd like to increase the school, as i always think that bigger schools look nicer, and make for happier fish...

My questions were:-

Is there an upper limit to the number of cories that will school, which Lupin has answered (thank you!)

What would be a good number in the 35. I reckon 20 or so - too many?

If I add another load in at once, will they all school togerther with the ones that are already in the 35, or will I end up with two rival schools of pymys, or is this impossible to tell as the fish will make up their own minds?

The new ones will be from the same batch that the originals were from in the LFS, so they will be about the same size/age as the originals.

Hope that clarifies the situation! All your helps are much appreciated!