Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   How to treat itch without killing my shrimp? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/how-treat-itch-without-killing-my-80969/)

JAYAONLINE 09-14-2011 12:21 PM

How to treat itch without killing my shrimp?

How do I treat my Platy's itch without killing my Red Cherry Shrimp?? - I cannot quarantine my Platies as I have not got any other tanks. Help ME PLEASE :/

BarbH 09-14-2011 12:25 PM

I would remove the shrimp and put them into another container during treatment. Someone that has experience with shrimp should be able to verify, but a large tupperware container should work just fine for keeping the shrimp in while you treat the platys. How bad is the ich on the platys?

JAYAONLINE 09-14-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 825367)
I would remove the shrimp and put them into another container during treatment. Someone that has experience with shrimp should be able to verify, but a large tupperware container should work just fine for keeping the shrimp in while you treat the platys. How bad is the ich on the platys?

It's not too bad, 3/6 of my platies have a few white spots on them and they occasionally rub themselves on the plants. They are all eating though.

BarbH 09-14-2011 12:54 PM

If it is not too bad right now you may first want to try seeing if the fish can fight it off first themselves. I am not sure how high of temps that the shrimp are able to stand, but raising the temp of the water slowly up to 86 degrees can help. At 86 ich is unable to reproduce which will interrupt the lifecycle. Keep the temp raised for about 7 days, keeping an eye on every one. After 7 days allow the temp of the tank to naturally go back down to the regular temp. If you are still having problems with ich, or if it gets worse than you will want to probably use medication to treat. But if there are only a few spots on the fish I would first see if they are able to fight it off themselves. Just make sure to check on the temp for the shriimp, and if you do use medication I would remove the shrimp from the tank.

mrbprint 10-26-2011 05:18 PM

From what I have read shrimp will handle salt and ich does not. It would seem that if you added some salt and raised the temp up to the limit for the shrimp around 80-82 it should work. I would start with 1 teaspoon/ 5 g and work up as you watch the shrimps reaction. At 82 the lifecycle of ich is about 5 days so 7-10 days and they should be clear. Right now I am treating some guppies this way and it seems to be working-82 deg and 1 TABLEspoon pickling salt per 5 gal 3 days and they are pretty much clear and one was totally encased in cysts, but no shrimp in the tank. Just something from other forums.