Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   fat barb? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/fat-barb-80950/)

KendraMc 09-14-2011 09:59 AM

fat barb?

i have one tiger barb that looks a lot fatter/wider than the others (i have 9 total). i think it is a female, but i'm not entirely sure. i tried getting a pic of it, but barbs aren't good at staying still long enough :-?. any idea why this one is so fat/wide?

ChrisPaul2491 09-14-2011 12:14 PM

Sometimes, with any fish, when they get "fatter" like that, it isn't because they're eating so much. In most cases it cause by some sort of bacteria infection or parasite. You may want to check into some medication. Even as a precautionary thing, medicating the water full of healthy fish, won't harm them.

KendraMc 09-14-2011 12:20 PM

i would rather not medicate, as i have a pleco in the tank and they are sensitive to most meds. and it doesn't look bloated, just wider across the underside.

willow 09-14-2011 12:23 PM

how bright is she compared to the others,as in the tip of the nose
and dorsel fin,could be a female,males are brighter.
as long as water changes are up to date,and the quality of water is good,then
no need to medicate,and all other fish are ok.
can you get a look at her from above ? any scales sticking out,like a pine cone ?

KendraMc 09-14-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

and dorsel fin
nose and tail have almost no color, the other fins are about average for the brightness of the fish in my tank. i'm assuming the ones with bright tails are the males.

Quote:

can you get a look at her from above ? any scales sticking out,like a pine cone ?
no pine coning. she looks healthy, acts normal. she is up at the front of the tank with the rest, asking to be fed.

willow 09-14-2011 12:31 PM

ok,posted just after you lol
sounds like it's just a female then ?

KendraMc 09-14-2011 12:32 PM

looks like it. she is not as bright as some of the others i have, and is kind of rounder, which i believe is also an indication of being female?

willow 09-14-2011 12:56 PM

yes,that's what i've always thought. mine were always like that.:-D

JAYAONLINE 09-14-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 825293)
and dorsel fin,could be a female,males are brighter.
as long as water changes are up to date,and the quality of water is good,then
no need to medicate,and all other fish are ok.

My female Guppy has the same symptoms as you mentioned, what does this mean?

willow 09-14-2011 02:04 PM

hi
is your guppy a male or a female ?
if it is a female and has a dark spot she is more than likely pregnant,and depending
on the size to how far along she is.
i'd post a picture of the difference between male and female,however still getting my head round this apple mac computer.......and being a tech phobic,i'm struggling.:-(