Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Feeding Bloodfin Tetra? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/feeding-bloodfin-tetra-80889/)

bigfish93 09-13-2011 05:51 PM

Feeding Bloodfin Tetra?

I went to Petsmart and got my fish food today. They were having a sale for all pets perks members so I figured today would be a good day to get it. I picked up Omega one small color pellets, Omega one veggie flakes, and tetracolor tropical flakes. I have read on here that it is a good idea to give them a variety of food, so that is why I got three different kinds. I will be getting some frozen brine shrimp once I can get out to my LFS. My question is, what would be a good feeding schedule? I read somewhere that Bloodfins should be fed at least twice a day is this true?

ladayen 09-13-2011 07:22 PM

It is a good idea to give a variety but different brands of flakes.. are still just flakes. I wouldn't worry about feeding twice a day. You can if you want... very small amounts, but most people tend to overfeed very easily going that route.

A note on Bloodfin Tetra, if you look at the profile it mentions that they like to jump so make sure you keep the tank covered :)

bigfish93 09-13-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 824559)
It is a good idea to give a variety but different brands of flakes.. are still just flakes. I wouldn't worry about feeding twice a day. You can if you want... very small amounts, but most people tend to overfeed very easily going that route.

A note on Bloodfin Tetra, if you look at the profile it mentions that they like to jump so make sure you keep the tank covered :)

thanks ladayen. I will probably stick to feeding them just once a day then. I'm gonna have to disagree with you about flakes being flakes though. The omega one brand has real seafood in it, unlike other brands such as top fin and tetramin who use fillers. The omega one has a lot more nutrients that the fish need too. There was even a price difference. the tetramin was half as much as the omega.

Byron 09-14-2011 11:01 AM

Once a day is sufficient, early in their "day" which begins when the tank lights come on. I usually wait 30 minutes minimum, sometimes an hour or more. This gives them time to "wake up" and time afterwards to digest the food before darkness falls when the lights go out. Don't feed prior to the water change so missing that day is fine.

Following the advice of others on this forum, I now use Omega One and Hikari almost exclusively. Three flakes and a pellet for upper fish, 4 sinking foods for substrate. One of the flakes should be veggie-based, the Omega One kelp flake is good. I also use their "basic" flake and their "colour" flake. The pellet is Hikari's micro pellet; this is the only pellet I can get my smaller characins to eat.

Byron.

Jbrofish8 09-14-2011 11:06 AM

I also use the omega brand almost exclusively.

I have the regular omega flakes, color flakes, algae pellets, sinking shrimp pellets and some freeze dried blood worms. My fish love them. I also have some frozen mysis shrimp and frozen bloodworms. My fish eat pretty well. :) You cant go wrong with omega though, just look at the first ingredient. Its always something like cod, salmon, kelp, etc. Instead of fish meal or something like that that a lot of the other brands have.

I also have the betta pellets for my betta. Hes really really picky and wouldn't eat anything at all that I fed him, until I got the omega pellets. Now hes a fat little boy. :)

Nubster 09-24-2011 11:33 PM

What do you all think about the foods offered by Kensfish?