Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   platty help !!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platty-help-80746/)

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-12-2011 02:43 AM

platty help !!!

hey i have a 9.1 gal tank and i brought 4 mollies today 3 females 1 male all the females are pregnant. i put them in the tank and they seem very stressed they swim up and down not really fast but normal speed i done nitrate and nitrite test they were both 0 ppm i added some aquarium salt didnt seem to help and i added very little bio booster in my tank and my tank has been filtering for a week. i checked today after school they seem fine except for 1 female, the male keeps mating with that 1 female and it is very stressed and hides alot what should i do plz help

Pisces47 09-12-2011 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalfishkeeper2 (Post 822573)
hey i have a 9.1 gal tank and i brought 4 mollies today 3 females 1 male all the females are pregnant. i put them in the tank and they seem very stressed they swim up and down not really fast but normal speed i done nitrate and nitrite test they were both 0 ppm i added some aquarium salt didnt seem to help and i added very little bio booster in my tank and my tank has been filtering for a week. i checked today after school they seem fine except for 1 female, the male keeps mating with that 1 female and it is very stressed and hides alot what should i do plz help

Hey to you too.
It could be that they are just stressed at their new surroundings, give them a day or so to settle in, make sure they have plenty of places to hide and that the water temperature is around 26 degrees Celsius (78 degrees Fahrenheit), oh, and leave the light off for 24 hours. Adding the salt and checking the other stuff is certainly the right way to go. If the females are pregnant and you end up with fry from all three, then you'd better get yourself a bigger tank, your 9 gallon tank is barely big enough for the 4 Mollies that you already have, keep us up to date on the progress and good luck.

1077 09-12-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalfishkeeper2 (Post 822573)

Male mollies will pester females to exhaustion when interested in breeding.
I would remove the fishes and take them back to the store (all of them).
I say this because you tank is too small to keep this species, and also because I do not believe your tank is ready for fish after running but for a week before fishes were introduced.
In a Cycled tank, which can take six to eight weeks (read up on this), there will be zero ammonia,zero nitrites,and there should be a reading for NitrAtes.(10 to 40 ppm),
If you have a friend or family member with an established (cycled) aquarium, then you can shorten the time it takes for tank to be ready for fish. Otherwise ,the tank must go through cycling period which as mentioned can take a few week's.
Should you decide you wish not to remove the fish,(I would) then I would still remove the male for the females will soon produce (if they don't succumb to ammonia,nitrite poisoning) more fry than your tank can support, and you will in my view,need to perform DAILY or TWICE daily 50 percent water change while feeding the remaining two female fish a tiny amount of food ONCE every other day until the tank reads zero for ammonia, nitrites, each day,all day, and you also have some level of NitrAtes.

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-12-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces47 (Post 822589)
Hey to you too.
It could be that they are just stressed at their new surroundings, give them a day or so to settle in, make sure they have plenty of places to hide and that the water temperature is around 26 degrees Celsius (78 degrees Fahrenheit), oh, and leave the light off for 24 hours. Adding the salt and checking the other stuff is certainly the right way to go. If the females are pregnant and you end up with fry from all three, then you'd better get yourself a bigger tank, your 9 gallon tank is barely big enough for the 4 Mollies that you already have, keep us up to date on the progress and good luck.

hey Pisces47 i have heaps of hiding places i even have a cave i checked now and the fish are all settled even the stressed female :)

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-12-2011 05:24 AM

hey 1077 im sorry i meant mollies i have platties not mollies i always get them mixed up sorry bout that

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-12-2011 05:25 AM

Pisces47 sorry i said mollies i actually have platties not mollies i always get em' mixed up sorry 'bout that

Pisces47 09-12-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropicalfishkeeper2 (Post 822611)
Pisces47 sorry i said mollies i actually have platties not mollies i always get em' mixed up sorry 'bout that

Okay, so they are Platies, not Mollies, glad they have settled down and that there are plenty of hiding places for them, but you really should get a larger tank for them, the bigger the better, and give some thought as to how to manage all the babies if the females are pregnant, they won't last very long in your tank with the other Platies.

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-13-2011 03:19 AM

sorry i said mollies lol and my platty gave birth :D after school i saw a little skin coloured thing swimming and i looked closely it was a baby fish :D

Pisces47 09-13-2011 05:51 PM

Yaay!!
You found one, great news......now find the rest, haha, they've got to be there somewhere.
Don't forget to really grind up the flake food between your fingers so that it's not much more than powder.
Let's know how many you end up with.

tropicalfishkeeper2 09-14-2011 06:35 AM

i found them all there are around 12 or 16 platy fry :D i feed them with crushed flacks 3-4 times a day :)