Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Bought a new molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/bought-new-molly-80745/)

pringleman1 09-12-2011 01:19 AM

Bought a new molly

3 Attachment(s)
Went to the aquarium store down the road "just to look" and saw this molly all alone in a tank that was only half full with no plants or decor or anything else in the tank :-( so i couldn't help it but to rescue the little one and buy it, so much for just looking.

Got it back home and took a good look at it cause I wasn't really looking at its appearance in the store just how dodgy the tank was. Its a female silver lyretail molly that looks to be in good health for the state the tank was in.
She looks like she is pregnant with a bit of a rectangular belly and slightly darkened gravid spot, but she is half the size of any of my other molly including another female silver molly.

For how small she is could she be preggers? Here are some pictures of her.
P.S. in one of the pictures you can see the top of my other female molly for comparison of the size. The new one was swimming over the older one.

Beaches 09-12-2011 07:40 AM

They can become sexually mature from the age of 3 months, so it could be quite possible. Having fry at that age can put a lot of stress on their body, as they are still a bit too young themselves.

Fisherofmen 09-13-2011 09:52 PM

Fisherofmen photos

She is beautiful and very elegant. Feed her well. Do you have live plants in your aquarium?
Posted via Mobile Device

pringleman1 09-13-2011 10:43 PM

I do, there are 5 different types of plants in that tank and i feed them regularly. what does you guys recommend for feeding mollys, how often? Is once a day ok?

Pisces47 09-14-2011 01:33 AM

Hey Pringleman1,

I was up in your neck of the woods a couple of days back....didn't see you though, hahaha!!!

You've got yourself a nice Mollie there and the best way to keep her in tip top shape is to feed her Spirulina flakes once a day, get it from your local Petbarn, and I give my Mollies a green pea once a week. Mollies are basically vegetarian and they love their greens. Also, don't forget to put a bit of salt in the water if she is in a tank on her own. I use a Neutraliser Block in the tank which is available from Petbarn, most aquarium stores and even Coles or K-Mart Supermarkets believe it or not, the block contains many minerals which are good for the water as well as a small amount of salt.

1077 09-14-2011 04:35 AM

If tap water is hard ,alkaline, there should be enough mineral salt's in water to exempt the need for additional salt.
If water was/is neutral to soft,I might consider Marine salt at half dose to provide the mineral's needed as well as a bit of salt. Opinion's vary but has worked well for me with moderately hard to neutral water from tap.
Agree with diet suggestion.
Nice fish!

pringleman1 09-14-2011 05:37 AM

But adding salt to the tank is bad for the plants, isnt it? Is there a way to do both or something similar without hurting my plants or fish?

1077 09-14-2011 05:53 AM

You have platy's, guppies,endler's,mollies.
Chances are your water suit's them as is.They all appreciate pH levels from 7.5 to 8.0 and 10 to 15 degrees GH.
Would not start messing with water at this point unless as stated,,the water was soft /acidic and then Iwould be more apt to increase hardness rather than introducing salt.
If it ain't broke,,don't try to fix it.

pringleman1 09-14-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces47 (Post 825035)
Hey Pringleman1,

I was up in your neck of the woods a couple of days back....didn't see you though, hahaha!!!

You've got yourself a nice Mollie there and the best way to keep her in tip top shape is to feed her Spirulina flakes once a day, get it from your local Petbarn, and I give my Mollies a green pea once a week.

Pisces47 you should have dropped in and said G'day haha

How do you give them peas? do you cook them? crush them?
Also is the Spirulina flakes the type that bring out their colour a lot more?

Pisces47 09-14-2011 05:14 PM

Pringleman1,

I was going to call in but the meter maids on Cavill Avenue were more interesting!

Yep, the Spirulina flakes do enhance fish colour, I find it the best of all the flake food. Hop on to Google and search for "spirulina fish flakes" and you will see that it is made mainly from vegetable matter.

As for feeding them a pea once a week, it's quite easy, take a frozen pea (or two) from the freezer, put it in a cup of water and stick it in the microwave for around 30 seconds, when the water in the cup has cooled down, take out the pea and put it between your thumb and forefinger and gently squeeze it into your other hand, the inside of the pea will pop out, this is the part you give the fish, just mush it up a bit as you put it in the tank and watch the fish go crazy for it. This is good for all your livebearers but particularly the Mollies, once or twice a week is enough.

I agree with what 1077 said about the salt in the water, I guess it means that the water in the US is different from the water here in Aust, and we all have different little tricks, however, I can say that since I started using the neutraliser blocks, my Mollies have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. The amount of salt in the blocks is very, very small and it won't affect your live plants, I keep one in the tank at all times but you could always put one in for a month then leave it out for a month, etc.