Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New 29g planted log

10K views 103 replies 10 participants last post by  Jbrofish8 
#1 ·
Well, I thought I'd make a log of my 2nd planted tank. This is a tank I got for my (early) birthday present.

I learned a lot from my first planted tank, and I really wanted to go for a more natural looking aquascape this time around.

So far, this tank has had its MAJOR ups and down.

I had the tank set up for 2 weeks and then last friday I woke up to a massive crack in my tank and water spilling on my floor. It was NOT a fun day. Here are some before and after pictures of that. :p

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
Now that the light is on I've gotten a better look, I'm thinking that 2 of the females might have laid eggs yesterday. Both on the same piece of driftwood. One laid them under the wood, the other, I think, laid them inside one of the holes on the top side of the wood. I cant see into the hole, but she is VERY aggressive this morning and doesn't stray far from the hole in the wood.

The original egg layer is out an about more this morning, Im thinking her eggs may be gone now.

Heres a quick picture of the entire tank, everything is growing in nicely :) I cant wait for the grass in the back to fill out more, its really beautiful and it sways in the light current.

I added 8 Rummynose tetra last night too, I felt bad adding them once I got home and noticed all the egg laying, but they dont seem interested at all. They are really beautiful fish though.

Attachments

#69 ·
Your tank is indeed very beautiful Jbro. Its filling out nicely. If the fish are healthy then they should be fine going that long without food. On Monday just feed them the normal amount you always do (if time allows) then it will only be 3 days without food which will/should be fine.

#71 ·
Dude I've cover those eggs in moss ASAP, even if it's unsightly or doesn't go with the flow of how your tank is aquascaped. Live fry are so fun to watch and more fun to raise, you don't want to miss this opportunity. So jealous!

#73 ·
Just thought Id post a quick update. The cichlids are still going at it.. but I have yet to see fry. I haven't lost a single fish since the initial loss of lemon tetra, which leads me to believe it was probably the fish and not my tank.

Heres a picture of my whole tank and my new favorite part of the tank, the lily's. I grew these from lily bulbs I bought at pet-smart. I didn't anticipate them to do much, but boy are they growing!

Also a few (bad) shots of a few of my fish.

Attachments

#74 ·
That is looking very nice. Good work I say.

#80 ·
The short ones are Tiger Lotus (I think) or Dwarf Lily. The tall ones behind the lily's are Rotala Indica. Those are also Cyprus Helferi not vals. :) I really love the look of them though!

And thanks so much for the compliment! I really feel good about this tank, and I find myself lost for hours just looking at it. Amazing how something so subtle can keep you entertained for hours. haha!

#81 ·
Okay thanks wasnt sure what the Cyprus helferi was which is why there was a ? With vals with in the pic they kinda look like them. LoL I don't know how bright your lights are but on Rotala Indica if you have moderate lighting it might be a little better to separate then out just a little. I found out with mine they tend to grow better that way also the closer they get to the light the more color they get in the leaves.

I thinking that was either tiger lotus or dwarf lily just wasn't sure. With those did you plant a bulb if so how long did it take to start growing?

#83 ·
If the rotala indica is growing good the way it is no reason to move it. It maybe getting enough lighting that way. I only planted one bulb out of my package and I am afraid it is a dud. I still have the other one that I haven't planted yet but with my luck it will be a dud also. I am going to wait another couple of weeks if no growth then the sucker is coming out lol.

#84 ·
I started noticing small growths out of the bulb after about a week. I didnt see any leaves until about the 2&1/2 week mark, id say.

One did grow faster than the other, though. Make sure you have half of it buried in the substrate, not the whole thing.

#85 ·
I have just a little showing out of the substrate. The package said to bury it 3/4 of the way. I did that and after the first week I found it floating. So I replaced in the same spot just a little bit deeper. Still no growth out of it yet will wait a little longer and take it out and try the other bulb.

#89 ·
Nice photos. And I like that substrate, probably asked what it is before but forgotten:roll:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.