Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New 29g planted log

10K views 103 replies 10 participants last post by  Jbrofish8 
#1 ·
Well, I thought I'd make a log of my 2nd planted tank. This is a tank I got for my (early) birthday present.

I learned a lot from my first planted tank, and I really wanted to go for a more natural looking aquascape this time around.

So far, this tank has had its MAJOR ups and down.

I had the tank set up for 2 weeks and then last friday I woke up to a massive crack in my tank and water spilling on my floor. It was NOT a fun day. Here are some before and after pictures of that. :p

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
Okay, that makes perfect sense.

I guess what I am worried about is that it is something in my water. I guess trying the fish from my usual store and seeing if they do OK would ease my mind. But I came home today and all is well in the tank (knock on wood). If there were something toxic in my water, my fish now would likely suffer too, right?

#35 ·
Okay, that makes perfect sense.

I guess what I am worried about is that it is something in my water. I guess trying the fish from my usual store and seeing if they do OK would ease my mind. But I came home today and all is well in the tank (knock on wood). If there were something toxic in my water, my fish now would likely suffer too, right?
One would think so.

One thing to consider that I forgot is copper. If you have copper water pipes (I do), this can leech copper into the water. You see it in the bath tub if there is a blue colouration on white. But this is only an issue with newer plumbing. Aquarists who replace their water pipes sometimes have all the fish die within days after the next water change. If your plumbing hasn't changed within the past few months, or a new hot water tank, etc, I wouldn't worry. Water conditioners that detoxify heavy metals handle trace amounts as would normally be in some tap water; but new copper pipes would add more copper than the conditioner can handle. Plants also take up toxic metals, but this too is limited.

#36 ·
I live in a very old house and we have not changed any pipes since I've lived here. (Im renting) Also, the same water goes into my second tank and I've had no issues there.

I'm REALLY hoping it was just a bad bunch of fish. I just fed the 4 that are left and they all ate like normal tetra (pigs :p). So i'm hoping these will be alright. I just wasnt sure if I should grab some fish from another fish store before my apistos arrive in order to possibly eliminate an issue with my water before I stick these fish in, ya know?

#37 ·
I live in a very old house and we have not changed any pipes since I've lived here. (Im renting) Also, the same water goes into my second tank and I've had no issues there.

I'm REALLY hoping it was just a bad bunch of fish. I just fed the 4 that are left and they all ate like normal tetra (pigs :p). So i'm hoping these will be alright. I just wasnt sure if I should grab some fish from another fish store before my apistos arrive in order to possibly eliminate an issue with my water before I stick these fish in, ya know?
What other fish are you thinking of for this tank?

#38 ·
I have the harem of apistos coming. 4 females and 1 male (they threw in a free female)..

And this is all I have set so far. >.< :lol:

When I was planning this tank out in my mind I wanted the apistos, a shoal or 2 of tetra/rasboras/something similar, a few otos (because I like the fish), and maybe a whiptail catfish.

Thats as far as its gotten. I wasnt really SET on which shoalers I wanted. I really liked the Lemons though, and when we started discussing the softness of my water in another thread, I thought about getting some rummynose to compliment the yellow of the lemons. However, my pH has not dropped enough yet (or at all, for that matter) so the rummy's are up in the air.

I decided not to get any more fish for now until after the apistos are settled. I realized im in no rush to stock this tank and I dont want to settle on a fish I dont really want because they dont have what I did want in stock.

#39 ·
I have the harem of apistos coming. 4 females and 1 male (they threw in a free female)..

And this is all I have set so far. >.< :lol:

When I was planning this tank out in my mind I wanted the apistos, a shoal or 2 of tetra/rasboras/something similar, a few otos (because I like the fish), and maybe a whiptail catfish.

Thats as far as its gotten. I wasnt really SET on which shoalers I wanted. I really liked the Lemons though, and when we started discussing the softness of my water in another thread, I thought about getting some rummynose to compliment the yellow of the lemons. However, my pH has not dropped enough yet (or at all, for that matter) so the rummy's are up in the air.

I decided not to get any more fish for now until after the apistos are settled. I realized im in no rush to stock this tank and I dont want to settle on a fish I dont really want because they dont have what I did want in stock.
I think that's wise. Rummys would be good, you need a decent group, no less than 9. They are the only tetra I know of that always shoal together, and they do better in larger groups. Much like Rasbora (Harlequin, Lambchop, Hengels) in these respects.

#42 ·
They are now in the tank and so fun to watch! I cant wait until they are bigger! They all ate a piece of brine shrimp (the male ate 2 pieces!) except for one of the bigger girls, she seems a little more shy so far.

I will say, the Lemon tetra look like giants compared to some of the apistos!

There is one girl who is concerning me, maybe some of you with experience in dwarf cichlids can tell me if this is normal or not. She is TINY, at least half the size of the other females, and she swims with her belly on the substrate. She swims around with the other fish, and she picks at the substrate like the other fish, she even ate some food tonight. Shes acting 100% healthy except that her belly rarely comes off the substrate. When she tries to swim quickly, she will rise off of it a little bit, but then she goes right back down and sits on it. She kind of reminds me of a mudskipper. I named her Bebe because she is so adorable.

Anyways, is this something I should be concerned with? Here are a few pics of them in their new home, and of the little girl Bebe on the substrate.

Attachments

#43 ·
They look good, especially in view of the ordeal they have been through.

I would keep an eye on the odd female, that does not sound normal, but she may just be slower to get settled.

#48 ·
Water Lettuce :)

It grows like a weed! Be warned. :p
Just got back from a new fish store (new to me) and asked about buying some Water Lettuce...it's illegal here in Florida!! I had no idea. I gues it's an invasive species here, choking out parts of the everglades. Well, at least I know where to get some now, as long as I can avoid getting eaten by 'gators or Pythons lol

#50 ·
I had water lettuce in my outdoor pond. It is large when it gets going, I had plants that were nearly a foot across..

Frogbit is a smaller "version" in that it is similar in design but tropical and suited to an aquarium, but Frogbit does not grow easily for everyone, and it seems to have periods of die back.

One of the best floating plants is Water Sprite [it's in our profiles, click on the shaded name], it will give the same general appearance. Many fish love this plant floating over them; they browse through the leaves and roots for food, and fry hide in them.

#54 ·
This may seem like a silly question, but I need to ask it.

I did my water change for last week on Sunday. I usually do them on Friday or Saturday but I was busy last week. Anyways, with these new fish having just arrived through the mail, should I hold out a few days on the water change to let them settle? I only had 4 fish in the tank and 1 snail, so I doubt a lot of waste has accumulated since last Sunday. What do you think?

#55 ·
This may seem like a silly question, but I need to ask it.

I did my water change for last week on Sunday. I usually do them on Friday or Saturday but I was busy last week. Anyways, with these new fish having just arrived through the mail, should I hold out a few days on the water change to let them settle? I only had 4 fish in the tank and 1 snail, so I doubt a lot of waste has accumulated since last Sunday. What do you think?
I think I would check the parameters and see if they are good if soo then I wouldn't worry about the water change and let the new fish settle in for a few days then do it.

#56 ·
parameters look great this morning so im going to hold off another day or so on the water change.

I did make a few changes to my scape last night, I ordered some crypt wendtii and i picked up some bacopa carolina to replace the stargrass who sadly did not survive the shipping.

I dont know how I feel about the crypt right now (bottom left). Its kind of all over the place, the problem is though, that I need a plant who can do well in lower light, because the floating plants shade that part of the tank. Maybe I'll like them more once the stems straighten up and aren't all bended from being shipped.

My moss arrives today, finally. It got lost in the mail the first time. I still dont know if I want to put in on the top of the cave, or on the wood in the right corner. Any thoughts?

OH and I also got a decent shot of my male apisto!

Attachments

#57 ·
Beautiful tank, Jbrofish. I am picking up a 30 gallon tank tomorrow. Unfortunately I have no place to set it up, so it's going to sit here until I can find a place. I'm upset that I'll have the tank but nothing to use it for :-(. We'll see.

Good thread too, a lot of the discussion points you brought up with Bryon I've had in the past and, reminiscing, seem to answer some old questions for me. Best of luck ;)

#58 ·
Thanks!!

That would kill me to have an empty tank sitting around. :( Hopefully you can have it up and running soon!

My moss *finally* came in. Here's a few pictures of my new moss cave. I think I like it!

My glass looks really dirty >.< sorry about that. The water change is a few days overdue because of the new arrivals, I'll make sure I scrub it today!

Attachments

#61 · (Edited)
Well, Much to my surprise... Ive got eggs!!

I thought these juvenile apistos were too young to start breeding, but apparently not! I noticed one of my females tonight acting a little strange, her horizontal bar was faded and she would barely come out from under the piece large driftwood (forms a rather large cave underneath). Whenever my male would come near her, she would roll on to her side and show her belly to him and he would flare his fins.

I watched this for about a half hour before she finally let him into the cave and I watched them lay their eggs from the side of the tank that has a clear view into the cage. It seems like most of the visible eggs were eaten but she is still guarding the inside of the cave so perhaps there are still eggs in there?

One thing I noticed is that one of the other females came into the cave while they were spawning, which I thought was surprising. Ive never seen cichlids breed before but Ive read that apistos will guard the eggs very well. I was shocked that the other female just swam right in to the cave while they were doing the deed.

Anyways, it seems like they are done now, she is guarding the inside of the cave and the male is chasing away any of the other females who come near the wood. I managed to take a picture of a few eggs before they were eaten, you can see them hanging in the top of the side entrance to the cave! HOW EXCITING!

Btw, I have no bottom feeders in this tank (other than snails). And the only other fish are some tetra, what are the chances of any of the future spawns surviving? None of the tetra seem to be interested in any of the caves in the tank and mainly swim out in the open.

Attachments

#62 ·
That's awesome! To answer your question if any eggs are left now or future spawns. Once there are fry swimming around I would think the tetra would get them if there isn't much places to hide from them. That's just my bought on it but by no means am I an expert so see what others say. BTW I love the way your tank looks!

#65 ·
I think camboba is good for it, but I have no space for camboba! :(!

I did a quick check this morning and she is still sitting in the cave guarding. Im going to assume there are eggs on the roof and walls of the cave that I cant see..I hope shes not spending energy guarding nothing. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.