Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Possible new Freshwater Tank/from saltwater (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/possible-new-freshwater-tank-saltwater-80582/)

DisneyCoralReef 09-10-2011 06:46 PM

Possible new Freshwater Tank/from saltwater

This is an idea at this point. I just had a very unpleasant experience with flooding, which was stricktly caused by my own lack of attention-and now considering POSSIBLY starting a freshwater tank.

I had bought everything to start up a saltwater, but now fearing the full cycling of the water, and the amount of opportunities it has to clog, leak, or break and floor our house. I have looked (only day so far), at the idea of starting up a freshwater tank-assuming that you can start up a tank without having to go through a sump and cycling water OUTSIDE of the tank.

Unfortunately I know nothing about freshwater set up. I don't understand what things to ask or what things to consider. I would like to know if it's something I could look into.

I currently have everything to set up a saltwater. I have a 75 gallon tank with sump. Pump and hosing all set up. I have a skimmer and lights, 200 watt heater and digital thermometer.

I don't plan on having any live plants. Strickly fish, and some artificial decorations(fake coral, perhaps plain/ regular freshwater decorations). I would also have some fish-open as to which ones at this point.

All advise, information you are willing to share-would be fantastic. A bit lost at this point and trying to do research.

Nubster 09-10-2011 06:52 PM

You do not meed a sump for FW. You don't need one for SW either for that matter. But for FW, you can use a canister or a HOB (hang on back) filter with no problems. I use a HOB filter on my 75 gallon FW tank and it works perfectly. I would also reconsider not having live plants. They do so much to improve the conditions in the tank for the fish, the health of the tank, and they just look so darn good.

zof 09-10-2011 07:16 PM

I agree the only thing I you will need to buy is a filter of some sort, because unlike a saltwater tank its not certain death if we have nitrates. So seal up your tank (remove the hoses), keep the heater, drop the skimmer and wash all the salt off everything. From there you start your cycle, read the cycling post at the top of this forum and remember we do not cycle water, but we cycle hard surfaces because this is where the beatifically bacteria live, so basically you need your filter with all your filter material and a body of water with an ammonia source in it be it a live fish or decaying organic matter. From there add in a few fish every couple of weeks so the amount of bacteria can keep up and you are good. Then look into doing a planted tank because the extra filtration from plants will help keep things in order if you goof a little on the water changes.

Freshwater is a great place to start and saltwater is a great place to aim to get to, as freshwater is a bit more forgiving and less expensive.

DisneyCoralReef 09-13-2011 05:39 PM

Appreciate the posts folks.

The cost is no concern to me. I've invested thousands in this tank already, and have gone through a few hardships that I rather not go through again(flooding). What I want to do is keep the tank, but just have fun with it, but decrease the risk of having another flood by 90% if I can help it.

From what I understand so far, is look into sealing that corner overflow(I think I might leave it as is. I dont have the experience to do this), and rince, rince rince.

Do you guys require powerheads? should I keep the lights I have? selling the sump and skimmer would be the next step I guess.

Regarding the plants, I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I have for months, thought about setting up a saltwater reef, so changing the purpose of the tank, I really don't want to be planting plants that were far from what my original plan was. I would rather have some fun with regular/premade decor and set that up.

Appreciate all your advice and help, Im completely lost coming from the SW end of things.

zof 09-13-2011 09:56 PM

Yea seal up your overflow so you don't get any stagnate water in there, this is as easy as siliconing some glass (or just enough silicone to cover them up) over the holes if its a glass aquarium or using acrylic glue and some acrylic to seal it up., I can see why you so easily flooded, I hate over flows because it takes too long to perfect to keep from overflowing on your floor, I have a 100 gallon freshwater setup with 3 tanks running with a sump right now and the two fish tanks are drilled so its much safer as far as the flooding goes.

For equipment, what sort of lights are these? If they are reef lights they will be too over powered for what we want if its a standard florescence T fixture then you can just use that as the light for freshwater fish is for our benefit not theirs. Power heads are not required unless you have fish that require the extra flow, for this you will have to look into fish profiles and figure out if they like lots of moving water or still water.

Also if you haven't look into getting a water conditioner (I like prime) and a freshwater test kit (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph).

I'm glad your little accident didn't completely turn you off from fish keep as I've been flowing a few of your threads in the saltwater section on and off.

DisneyCoralReef 09-13-2011 10:32 PM

Oh you know I've been so upset over this whole flooding thing. I was sick for 2 weeks, and just starting to keep like I might be recovering.

What do you suggest for a 75 gallon tank for filtration? is there a way to to really lower the risk of flooding, even with a freshwater? You're scaring me with your flooding talk with the filter.

AbbeysDad 09-14-2011 09:23 AM

If I were you, I would use an AquaClear 110 HOB filter ($65~), but there are those that will feel you need a canister filter (Eheim, Rena, Fluval are top brands @ $150~).

zof 09-14-2011 02:18 PM

The risk of flood in a tank with a canister or HOB filter is very minimal, and will only happen say if you don't properly connect and seal up the canister, but once you've done it a few times its a no brainier, I have never used canister filters but on anything over 55 gallons that would be my choice, HOBs are fine but they can make a bit if noise if water level isn't maintained. The biggest benefit to canisters is you can typically put more filter material inside of one than you would with a HOB.

Now I didn't mean to scare you with any talk of flooding but I was just trying to tell you the difference between a using an overflow in a tank or using a drilled hole in a tank for water evacuation to the sump.

Nubster 09-14-2011 04:25 PM

I have an AquaClear 110 on my 75g tank and it works great.