Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New Jewel Cichlid owner here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-jewel-cichlid-owner-here-80521/)

itoshiixhito 09-10-2011 12:48 AM

New Jewel Cichlid owner here

First of all, hello!

After a little research, I bought two Jewel Cichlids today, and I love them. I've named them Kimchi and Yakatori :mrgreen:

Here's my tank: First Tank - 10 gallon Freshwater fish tank

My question is, what's the best temperature and pH balance to keep the tank at? Everywhere I've looked gives varying answers.

Also, besides what I have listed under "accessories" on my tank page, is there anything else I should be buying for my Cichlids?

:thankyou:

BarbH 09-10-2011 01:12 AM

Hello and welcome to TFK :-D

One major issue I can see right now is that a 10 gallon tank is really too small for jewels that can get to be at least 5 to 6 inches long. The should do fine in a ph between 6.5 and 7.5, and a temp I would say of probably 76 to 78 would be alright. For tank size you will need to have at least a 30 gallon for just two jewels, if not bigger. Will let some of our more knowledgable members on African cichlids give you more information and suggestions.

itoshiixhito 09-10-2011 11:11 AM

Oh wow, I didn't think I'd need anything bigger :shock:

I guess I'll have to upgrade when I have the money :smile:

Byron 09-12-2011 11:47 AM

I already responded in your other thread about pH, which i now see is related to this tank. Barb is correct, and I mentioned a 4-foot tank in the other thread.

My advice is to return the Jewel cichlids. Fish grow continually, and need adequate space when growing or they become what we term stunted, or internally deformed. The immune system is weaker, and this causes the fish to have more health problems than it otherwise would have. Other problems also occur in behaviour, since the fish has no way to cope with what it sees as undesirable conditions.

I use this maxim whenever i consider buying fish: can I now provide what this fish needs at maturity? If the answer is no, i do not buy the fish. It is easy to think that next year you might be able to get another larger tank--but you may not, and in the meantime this fish is suffering.

A 10g tank will house many wonderful fish, and they will be happy and thus healthy. Read through our fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Many small species are included.

Byron.

itoshiixhito 09-12-2011 09:11 PM

I took your advice Byron, and returned the two Jewel Cichlids. I'll miss them, but it was the right thing to do.

I instead bought a Crowntail Betta. I've named him Cozmo and he's settled in nicely :-)

Byron 09-13-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itoshiixhito (Post 823501)
I took your advice Byron, and returned the two Jewel Cichlids. I'll miss them, but it was the right thing to do.

I instead bought a Crowntail Betta. I've named him Cozmo and he's settled in nicely :-)

That is a better choice. He should be quite happy.:-D