Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How do I keep my tank cool (colder).

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Wildlander 
#1 ·
I live in Ellensburg, WA. where in the summer it's normally 95ish degrees. I don't have air conditioning so the house gets sorta warm during the day. My fish tank heater is set pretty low and the tank stay about 79-81 degrees through the day. This seems a little warm for my tetras who prefer 70-78ish degree water. Is there a way to lower the temp is the tank safely? Or to get the tank to stay at a cooler temp. Preferably a few degrees below what it is now. Thank so much for the help.

#2 ·
This older thread may give you some ideas....
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium/tank-too-hot-need-ideas-75501

Many of us have this problem during summer and need to resort to using fans over the tank, turning/keeping of the tank light, leaving the lid off, water changes etc. I also live in Aust. and even with air-cond. in my flat, it still gets to 40*c inside at times. Most tropical fish can handle higher temps. quite well in the short-term (a few weeks).

#3 ·
I did a partial water change and had a small fan blowing cold air at night towards the tank. Woke up this morning and the tank is about 74. The heater also went on (was set pretty low) so I assume that it is gonna try to keep it at around 74-76. Any other tips to keep it cool during the hot parts of the day when my apartment gets hot?

#5 ·
It might be best to have the fan on during the day when it is hot and turn it off at night. I know at night the temp. may often drop considerably and you probably don't need the fan on then. The main thing is to try and avoid sudden fluctuations in temp., as that can be worse for the fish.

@ Barb...good question.

#7 ·
The tank temp is only a couple of degrees warmer than the preferred range of the fish. During the summer for short term a couple of degrees would be fine. You would not want to keep the tank at this temp for long term. Some of the other things that you can try is that if you get light that hits this tank during the summer keeping the window covered will help, also helps in keeping the room temp down also.

#9 · (Edited)
I live in Ellensburg, WA. where in the summer it's normally 95ish degrees. I don't have air conditioning...
I live in Ellensburgs too.

Open all windows in the evening (after 8pm). Close them in the morning before 9am - trapping the cool morning air in the house. It will still probably get hot in the house but it will give you a buffer temporally where it is a shorter period of time of hot indoor temps and probably enough to drop the tank temp a degree or two.

Open the tank top to allow evaporative cooling of the remaining water. Turn off the aquarium light from noon till you open the windows again - at least during the 100+ days here.

Put a large fan in one window to help move cool air into the house. Match this too work with the outside win direction. Put a small fan so it blows over the surface of your aquarium. Add water as needed.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.