Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   SO something different, stocking wise. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/so-something-different-stocking-wise-80503/)

patadams66 09-09-2011 09:36 PM

SO something different, stocking wise.
 
i have two 55g tanks one with live bearers, one with rainbows, neons, both with cory cats.

im setting up a 30g

it will be planted.

i am wanting something different.

i was thinking Kribs but im afraid of how easily they breed and what i would do with all the fry.

i was thinking Rams but im a little scared of their water demands.

im not opposed to a cichlid tank but its a 30g and i have zero knowledge and experience with them. plus like i said i want it planted.

so im looking for suggestions nothing SUPER exotic (AKA $$$$) but i dont mind paying for some awesome fish if that makes sense.

ladayen 09-09-2011 10:06 PM

You could do a nice community tank, maybe with a blue gourami as a centre piece fish of sorts. Maybe some African Dwarf frog as something different. Round it out with some Brilliant rasbora (No profile so I'll give you this link http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...nt-rasbora.php) or Harlequin rasbora and/or maybe a school of pristella tetra or lemon tetra.

Of course you'd have to add them over time not all at once and hopefully after your tank has cycled. With enough plants that will be quick.

Byron 09-10-2011 10:50 AM

What are the water parameters?

patadams66 09-10-2011 11:41 AM

This is out of my established tank

Ph is between 6 and 6.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 5 and 10

My API test strips say gh is 60
kh is between 0 and 40
Posted via Mobile Device

patadams66 09-10-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 820284)
This is out of my established tank

Ph is between 6 and 6.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 5 and 10

My API test strips say gh is 60
kh is between 0 and 40
Posted via Mobile Device

water out of the taps ph is 7.4 or 7.5 if i remember, i was kind of shocked to see it had come down to much

is it bc of the drift wood?

Byron 09-10-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 820496)
water out of the taps ph is 7.4 or 7.5 if i remember, i was kind of shocked to see it had come down to much

is it bc of the drift wood?

No, wood will lower pH but it is minimal. The reason is the hardness (or lack of) in your tap water, which number we don't have. To get the full story, you can read more here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

You mentioned cichlids previously, and in a 30g long with (presumably) soft water, the South American dwarfs are an option. The common Blue Ram should be fine too, as you mentioned it. But there are many species of dwarf.

With the above, "dither" fish from the pencilfish, hatchetfish, smaller characins are ideal. Substrate fish are numerous too, though if you want to spawn the cichlids substrate fish can be trouble as they are generally nocturnal and will eat eggs or fry easily.

Byron.

patadams66 09-10-2011 10:13 PM

byron could i keep a pair of kribs and rams together?

ill test the tap water for KH and GH tomorrow

patadams66 09-11-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 820586)
No, wood will lower pH but it is minimal. The reason is the hardness (or lack of) in your tap water, which number we don't have. To get the full story, you can read more here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

You mentioned cichlids previously, and in a 30g long with (presumably) soft water, the South American dwarfs are an option. The common Blue Ram should be fine too, as you mentioned it. But there are many species of dwarf.

With the above, "dither" fish from the pencilfish, hatchetfish, smaller characins are ideal. Substrate fish are numerous too, though if you want to spawn the cichlids substrate fish can be trouble as they are generally nocturnal and will eat eggs or fry easily.

Byron.

and i want to add, i read that article, and the first thing i wanted to say was "uhh what?" the second was "ok i read it, now tell me what it means haha"

but i read it a couple of times and at least i understand a little more now, instead of not at all?

Byron 09-11-2011 10:55 AM

I would not keep rams and kribs together. I would not mix cichlid species at all except in much larger aquaria (4+ feet length) and then only with carefully-selected species. Cichlids are very easy fish to spawn; if the tank is to their liking--which means the water parameters, stability, environment suit the fish species--they will spawn, repeatedly, no matter what. When defending eggs and fry, cichlids can be very rough on any other fish, even those considerably larger. I have some Apistogramma baenschi in my 4-foot 70g, one male with (now) 3 females, two of which are mature fry from the original pair's first spawn that managed to survive. The male spawns with any female who is willing. And in spite of the females being less than an inch, they are rough. And I mean, rough. With each other, and any fish that they perceive as being "too close." As soon as you mix species, this intensifies to the detriment of other fish in the tank. And kribs will kill other fish in their way, moreso than most other dwarf cichlids. The Rams are pretty feisty too, so this is not a good mix. A 30g (presumably 30-inch length, maybe 36) is insufficient for more than one species of dwarf. But even in one of your 55g I would not mix these two.

Understanding the science behind what is occurring in our tanks helps us avoid doing something that will have serious consequences. This hobby is a scientific one, and success comes easier from knowledge. After 20+ years in the hobby, I am still learning. When you have those numbers, I will try to put it in perspective.

patadams66 09-11-2011 04:04 PM

ok so API Test strip says water out of my tap:

Gh is 120-180 (darker blue)
KH is very low 0-40 (yellowish green)

SO this tells me that there is basically no buffer so the PH going into the tank will not stick. correct?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2