Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Mollie Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/mollie-questions-80447/)

fantails 09-09-2011 12:38 PM

Mollie Questions

I have two mollies a balloon and a dalmation. My dalmation mollie was always staying on the bottom and dorsal was down untill I add 0.1% salt so now she is active and dorsal is up.

http://youtu.be/X2uurmWcZ_E

I want to know what is the recommended amount of salt to keep in my mollie tank?

What should the KH be at?

What should be the PH?

Should i have more than one dalmation?

tf1265 09-09-2011 12:48 PM

I know that mollies are technically brackish fish, she they do better in slightly salty water. I don't have any molllies or brackish tanks, but I would check out some of the stickies in the brackish water forum for suggestions on maintaining a brackish water tank.

Pisces47 09-10-2011 07:55 PM

I have said it several times on these forums, the trick to successfully keeping Mollies is to add salt to the water. There is absolutely no need to keep them in brackish water.
Keep the temperature at 26 degrees Celsius (78 degrees Fahrenheit) and add a Neutraliser Block. These blocks contain a small amount of salt, amongst other stuff, so there is no need to measure the salt level that you wish to add to the water. The block will dissolve over a period of a few weeks depending on the size of the tank, and because you will have changed some of the water during that period the salt level will have dropped, so just add a new block, I keep one in my tank at all times and my Mollies adore it. Here in Aust. the blocks are available from aquarium stores and some supermarkets and cost about $2 to $3. I also feed the Mollies a green pea or two once a week, if you wish to know how to do that, I'm only too happy to put on my chefs hat and tell you.

fantails 09-11-2011 06:47 AM

We don't carry those blocks in Canada. We can't get the stuff you can. I only have aquarium salt and we have 3 dalmation mollies in a 15g so right now I have 15 teaspoons of salt in the tank. Any other sugestions or will aqaurium salt be ok.

Pisces47 09-11-2011 05:21 PM

Fantails,

It's a shame you can't get the blocks, it certainly would have made everything easier, however you seem to know what you are doing, so good for you.
The aquarium salt you are using is perfect, don't use table salt, but I would be inclined to drop the dosage somewhat, maybe down to 10 teaspoons, and check the reaction of the fish, then keep dropping it as you see fit.
The problem with using salt of any kind, neutraliser blocks included, is that it can make it hard for plants to survive and other livebearers aren't happy with it either.
It comes down to the definition of "brackish", I reckon all water has some salt in it so it only takes a tiny amount to make it "brackish".
Have you tried searching on the web to find the blocks somewhere near you? Keep me updated with this, I find it interesting, and good luck.

Pisces47.

fantails 09-11-2011 05:27 PM

Thanks. I will keep trying to locate these blocks. I will drop the salt as required and I use silk plants and I only keep the dalmation mollies in the tank. I will keep you posted as necessary.

Crocer 09-11-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pisces47 (Post 822088)
Fantails,

It's a shame you can't get the blocks, it certainly would have made everything easier, however you seem to know what you are doing, so good for you.
The aquarium salt you are using is perfect, don't use table salt, but I would be inclined to drop the dosage somewhat, maybe down to 10 teaspoons, and check the reaction of the fish, then keep dropping it as you see fit.
The problem with using salt of any kind, neutraliser blocks included, is that it can make it hard for plants to survive and other livebearers aren't happy with it either.
It comes down to the definition of "brackish", I reckon all water has some salt in it so it only takes a tiny amount to make it "brackish".
Have you tried searching on the web to find the blocks somewhere near you? Keep me updated with this, I find it interesting, and good luck.

Pisces47.

what tank mates would you recommend with this dosage?

I have also read that all water has certain amount of salt in it.

Crocer 09-11-2011 08:48 PM

Mollies love hard water, we have tons of it where I am , plus it tastes great :lol:

Pisces47 09-11-2011 09:14 PM

Yep, we have lots of it here too, and it sure does taste great, especially with a Bourbon or three!!
As for other fish in this "salty" water, it's hard to tell. I have two Blue Platies in with the Mollies and they are fine, but maybe that's because they were born in this tank and don't know any other type of water. I've never had much luck with Swordtails. Guppies were o.k. though.