Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Pool filter sand vs play sand (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/pool-filter-sand-vs-play-sand-80406/)

Tha Bizness 09-08-2011 09:34 PM

Pool filter sand vs play sand

2 Attachment(s)
I just got a a 75 galloon tank and was trying to make the decision on which way to go on substrate. I went to my local pool supply store and they were closed so I went to Lowes and got play sand washed it according to the directions posted (for hours) and put it in my tank. The image was taken shortly after I was done.

On day 2 - it was still very cloudy. Changed all the water and it was still cloudy altho not as much.

on day 3 - it looked the same and didn't want to spend a fortune on water changes so I gave up. I vac'ed all the sand out and went back to the pool supply store to get pool filter sand.

Play sand - $7, Pool filter sand - $20. Having a clear tank as soon as I put in the PFS..... PRICELESS!

The washing process took half the time and the water is clear. I wanted to post this so if anyone else was making a decision on substrate they would have images of what it looked like for me.

-Tha Biz

EDIT: Both images were taken within a hr of putting in the water....

bigfish93 09-08-2011 09:38 PM

Wow, the play sand really clouded up your water. I am using play sand in my 20 gallon right now and I never had any cloudy water. I washed a little sand at a time and put it in my empty tank. Once I got my sand to the desired depth, I filled the tank up with water. I think the trick is to wash a very small amount of sand at a time. Although 75 gallons may take a while. Any way, the tank looks great with the PFS.

k19smith 09-08-2011 10:26 PM

That is very interesting I've always used play sand, never had near that much trouble but your tank does look great with the pool sand. Thanks for posting.

Jbrofish8 09-08-2011 10:40 PM

One trick you can try when using a sandy substrate or any substrate for that matter, is to put a plate down on the sand/gravel/whatever. Then when you fill the tank you run the water directly over the plate, this keeps the substrate in place and helps A LOT with cloudiness.

zof 09-08-2011 11:01 PM

Yea I agree smaller amounts of playsand when you clean it, my cloudiness went away with in 2 hours of adding water.

Tha Bizness 09-08-2011 11:22 PM

I had a cup sitting on a plate.....8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 (Post 818643)
One trick you can try when using a sandy substrate or any substrate for that matter, is to put a plate down on the sand/gravel/whatever. Then when you fill the tank you run the water directly over the plate, this keeps the substrate in place and helps A LOT with cloudiness.

Posted via Mobile Device