Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Newby stocking a new aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/newby-stocking-new-aquarium-80371/)

newby 09-08-2011 04:24 PM

Newby stocking a new aquarium

I have a male and female betta and one goldfish. I already made a mistake with getting the goldfish so I would like some expert advise. I have a new 36 gallon take I bought for my bettas. Now I need to know what kind of fish are best suited to fill the rest of the tank. I have done some research but I hope to find some more suggestions here. Thank you for any assistance! :-)

KendraMc 09-08-2011 04:37 PM

first question that pretty much everyone is going to want to know before suggesting fish: what are the pH and hardness of your water? different fish need different perimeters and these are not worth changing. if you can test your water and let us know, i'm sure you will get lots of good ideas.

Byron 09-09-2011 01:24 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I would not put any other fish in with a pair of Betta. Betta is not a true community fish, esp the male.

newby 09-11-2011 01:00 PM

Need assistance please

I now have 5 tetras and 1 emerald cory and 2 spotted corys. The emerald cory was left by itself at the store along with the twp spotted. Since they like to be in 3 or more i got them for my new tank. I love watching them together swimming about seeming to have a great time. Since this is a new tank is this behavior normal or are they stressed?

Limeylemon 09-11-2011 01:30 PM

Alot of people say don't keep male and female betta together, ive heard they fight like 2 males would.
How long did you leave it before you added fish?
and i would test the waters, very dangerous adding fish to a new tank without leaving it to cycle and testing the waters.

folion 09-26-2011 02:18 PM

Google aqadvisor. Add the tank size and filter you have into the site and then start adding fish. It will tell tell you if certain fish can go together or not. Also will warn you when you are over stocked or need more filtration.

tf1265 09-26-2011 04:43 PM

What is your plan with the 3 original fish? Obviously you learned that a goldfish has different requirements from a tropical fish (eveything else that you have). Male and female betta? They really shouldn't be kept together, the male will likely bully the female to death. It might not happen immediately, but it will probably happen. Bettas are solitary. Unless you've done a LOT of research on bettas I recommend a different gameplan (that includes 2 separate small tanks, 1 for each betta).

With a 36 gallon I'd get more cories though. 3 is more like a minimum number, not an ideal. If you can get at least 6 they will be happier. Look for more emeralds, as they will play with other species out of necessity, not because it's completely natural. But it's good that you saved him from his solitary petstore life. They are pretty active when they are comfortable, so I wouldn't worry too much. Cories tend to sit still on the bottom when they are scared or stressed.

Water parameters would be helpful, as well as more information about your tank or what your plan for the tank is (decor, live plants, heated, filtered, pH of water, etc).

newby 09-30-2011 04:16 PM

Well unfortunately the bettas got sick and died. I love the corys and my spotted raphael catfish. I do need to get more. I am waiting for my tank to finish cycling. Im almost at my 30 day mark :) So im waiting to add three more corys. and a clown pleco and a long fin albino bristlenose pleco. As well as some more gouramis.

Also waiting for three brazilian puffers to come in November :)

Byron 10-01-2011 11:09 AM

Careful on the pleco. More than one means a long tank so they get out of each other's way. Male pleco are territorial.

KendraMc 10-03-2011 08:28 AM

that sounds like a lot of bottom fish. you may want to go with some mid and upper fish instead.