Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   beginner salt water tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/beginner-salt-water-tank-80290/)

Zman11683 09-07-2011 01:02 PM

beginner salt water tank

hey everyone i'm looking for so help. I thinking about kick the fresh water tank on the streets (not really lol), i was and going to upgrade my tank from a 10gal to 26gal. i was wonder is it to small to run a fish only in a 26gall. i dont what $$$'s on setting up it. plus i watch a lot of vids on how to start it but i dont want to use a sump box bc my room is to small to do this. and if u didnt use a sump box please!!!! tell me how you did. if you can tell me some items that you use to keeep your tank happy. :-D

Jonsson 09-07-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman11683 (Post 816805)
hey everyone i'm looking for so help. I thinking about kick the fresh water tank on the streets (not really lol), i was and going to upgrade my tank from a 10gal to 26gal. i was wonder is it to small to run a fish only in a 26gall. i dont what $$$'s on setting up it. plus i watch a lot of vids on how to start it but i dont want to use a sump box bc my room is to small to do this. and if u didnt use a sump box please!!!! tell me how you did. if you can tell me some items that you use to keeep your tank happy. :-D

I don't run a sump in my 10 gallon and everything is going fine. The number one thing I would recommend is make sure you use RO water.

Reefing Madness 09-07-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman11683 (Post 816805)

Sure you can. No sump or Skimmer. As long as you keep up on water changes you'll be fine.
Nano Fish
Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums
You'll need a couple powerheads for flow, you'll want at least 10x the water turn over rate for a FOWLR tank.....Fish Only With Live Rock. So like 2 150gph powerheads should do ya.
Refractometer for measuring salt
Heater
Live Rock at least 1.5lbs per gallon
Crushed Coral or Live Sand
And off you go.

Zman11683 09-07-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsson (Post 816918)
I don't run a sump in my 10 gallon and everything is going fine. The number one thing I would recommend is make sure you use RO water.

I dont want tear up my parents house pluming with a ro filter and other way of optaining ro water. I read some where that you can use distiled water as ro water.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zman11683 09-07-2011 07:59 PM

When it comes to filtration sould I use the filter that comes with my new tank kit or should buy a canister filler
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 09-07-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman11683 (Post 817356)
When it comes to filtration sould I use the filter that comes with my new tank kit or should buy a canister filler
Posted via Mobile Device

Neither. Live Rock will filter the water for you. Feed your fish every other day. You don't need a filter. You can use Distilled or RO from a pet shop. Or they make Ro filters for under the sink drinking water purposes.

onefish2fish 09-07-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman11683 (Post 817349)
I dont want tear up my parents house pluming with a ro filter and other way of optaining ro water. I read some where that you can use distiled water as ro water.
Posted via Mobile Device

you can use a saddle valve, found by the RO filters in a hardware store for a few dollars. this screws into a pipe, allowing you to hook up a RO/DI unit without changing any plumbing.

distiled water can work, but ive read they usually store it in copper tanks. copper in water will harm inverts.

teddyzaper 09-07-2011 08:55 PM

Some R/O filters you can also stick on the sink nozzle, and leave it their for an hour or so to get some water ;)

Reefing Madness 09-07-2011 10:05 PM

Portable Mini Reverse Osmosis DI/Ro Water System 4stage | eBay

Zman11683 09-07-2011 10:13 PM

i guess i have to buy one then :(