Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   "false" julii cories - info needed (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/false-julii-cories-info-needed-80279/)

tf1265 09-07-2011 10:57 AM

"false" julii cories - info needed

I was recently at one of my local chain petstores picking up some more water conditioner, and as usual I browse through the livestock tanks just to see what they had. I normally don't buy my fish from the chain stores as I have a GREAT local independent store nearby, but I'm always curious.

They say they have julii cories and emerald cories, both of which I generally don't see at this pet store or in this area at all. As a result, I don't know much about them and how to identify the "real" ones versus the "false" ones. I'm excited and would love to get some as my cory options are peppered, albino, and occasionally I'll find a panda or two (but I've killed a couple of those and am scarred). I have peppered which I love, and the albino ones seem like they're too sensitive for me. I've been looking to add bottom feeders to another tank that is lacking bottom movement.

I remember seeing somewhere on this forum that Byron had said that most advertised Julii cories actually aren't, and same with Emeralds. I'd like to know more about this. I highly doubt that this petstore (PetCo) has the real deal if they are uncommon, so I'm trying to learn about whatever the actual species is.

What can anyone tell me about these mis-identified julii and emerald cories? Tank size, hardness, pH requirements would be great, but also just general information about them.

I have 2x10 gallon tanks, slightly basic (7.6-7.8), hard water but not extreme, live plants, gravel substrate, heated to 78 (but adjustable). Current tank mates would be sunburst and red wag platies.

Thanks!

Byron 09-07-2011 11:19 AM

The answers to all your questions can be found in our profile of the respective fish, under the second tab fro the left in the blue bar across the top. But for ease, I'll type the names as you can then click the shaded names to see that profile [common or scientific name used in the profile will shade in posts if it is exactly the same].

The julii issue is explained in the profiles for:
Corydoras julii
Corydoras trilineatus

The "Emerald" issue is explained:
Corydoras aeneus
Brochis splendens

I would avoid Brochis in a 10g tank, this species gets larger and still needs a group.

Byron.

tf1265 09-07-2011 11:28 AM

Great, thank you. I had a feeling the various species were profiled, but I'm unfamiliar with scientific names and was having trouble tracking down the right ones and following the descriptions of the false ones in the profiles of the true species.

Are the brochis splendens in the same genus as Bettas?

Thanks for the very quick reply, I was hoping I'd get a quick answer as the new shipment arrived at the petstore today so I'm hoping to make a decision by the end of the day. Now, I have some reading to do!

Byron 09-07-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Are the Brochis splendens in the same genus as Bettas?
Far removed. Brochis along with Aspidoras and Corydoras are in the catfish family Callichthyidae, whereas Betta splendens is in the family Anabantidae. In the profiles, if you click on the family name when underlined in the list you can read a short intro to that family.

Byron.

KendraMc 09-07-2011 01:13 PM

the second part of scientific names tend to be descriptive/referring to a person's name. it is the first part that can tell you if two species are related.

tf1265 09-07-2011 01:19 PM

Whoops, I had my binomial nomenclature mixed up in my head. Second word is species, first word is genus. I had them switched. That makes more sense now. It's been a while since my last biology course.

tf1265 09-07-2011 08:39 PM

I went back to the pet store today curious about what specific species I would actually find there. They had the same 2 "emerald" cories I had seen a few days earlier, and much to my surprise there were about 6 "julii" cories swimming around in one of the tanks, all adorable and about 1 inch long. At first glance I thought they might actually be juliis, but when I got a good luck I could clearly see that they were in fact the false juliis that are so much more common.

Still adorable. I got 3 of them, as I don't really have the stocking room for more than that (10 gallon tank with other fish). They were very cautious at first, justifiably. I'm going through my usual battle of wanted to provoke them to swim around while knowing that that is cruel and they are scared and they need time to adjust (don't worry, I almost never ACTUALLY provoke them to move, just want to. Only if I think they're dead). It's been about 6 hours, one of them is already swimming her laps up the surface like my peppers do in the evening. The other two are still a bit tentative, but I'm so excited to have them!

Also got some tiger nirite snails. I've only ever had mystery snails and was excited to change it up. I got 1 for each tank, I love watching how fast they move!

ladayen 09-07-2011 08:50 PM

You love watching how fast snails move?.... That like watching paint dry and grass grow? :P lol

On a side note.. is there a false peppered cory?

tf1265 09-07-2011 08:58 PM

Not that i'm aware of. I just learned about the "false" cories from the posts Byron made above, so if you read those then you know as much as me!

When I said watching how fast they move what I meant was "checking in every hour or so and discovering that they are on the other side of the tank!" Also I like it when he's on the front wall and I can see his little teeth - creepy!

ginagv 09-07-2011 11:51 PM

hi. I don't know how you have your tank set up, but just as an aside for what cories need, they need a smooth substrate, sand works well too. They are also shy a times and need places to hide to feel safe. Plants, caves from driftwood or rock is good. If you have already done all this then pardon my interference.

I tend to stick my nose into other's tanks because cories are my favorties and I tend to want to mother all of them :-D

Gina