Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Low light Foreground/ Mid ground plant suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/low-light-foreground-mid-ground-plant-80229/)

kmiceray 09-06-2011 06:51 PM

Low light Foreground/ Mid ground plant suggestions?

I have gotten all my background plants, bog wood, and rocks where I want them. However, I am severely missing foreground and mid ground plants.

I will probably use pygmy chain sword as kind of the "grass". The Dwarf Amazon sword looked interesting as well to me.

So any other suggestion? Even taller plants that can be trimmed to lower levels will work too.

Thanks, Kyle

k19smith 09-06-2011 09:14 PM

I just ordered a bunch of this Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) - $0.60 : Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics, Aquarium Plants

I'm hoping it will be a nice foreground plant for me. My luck it will grow 18" tall.

bigfish93 09-06-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 816181)
I just ordered a bunch of this Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) - $0.60 : Aquarium Plants Pond Plants From Sweet Aquatics, Aquarium Plants

I'm hoping it will be a nice foreground plant for me. My luck it will grow 18" tall.

I also ordered sagittaria subulata from sweet aquatics. You can't beat 60 cents a plant. I'm hoping it will make a nice foreground plant for my 20 gallon.

Jbrofish8 09-07-2011 06:19 AM

MARSILEA MINUTA..I just ordered this off aquabid. Supposedly it can grown in low/mod light and form a carpet..just slower. It looks a lot like glosso though so Im going to give it a try.

kmiceray 09-07-2011 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Giving me a bunch of ideas...Thanks!

spike0544 09-07-2011 10:40 AM

Try some Anubias Nana. Just attach it to your bogwood with some black thread. It has a nce dark green color that may help give you some contrast in the tank.

kmiceray 09-07-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike0544 (Post 816668)
Try some Anubias Nana. Just attach it to your bogwood with some black thread. It has a nce dark green color that may help give you some contrast in the tank.

While I was reading in the profile section last night I came across that plant. You are right in the fact that is would probably add a really great contrast plant in the front of the tank. I do have a piece of bog wood kind of closer to the front so I think I may get me one of those and anchor it down with the black thread. On the black thread I read somewhere where people just leave it on because it dissolves eventually. Is that true?

spike0544 09-07-2011 04:15 PM

Yes but it does take some time. If you position it right you can hide it.