Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ideas for cleaning sand inside (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ideas-cleaning-sand-inside-80207/)

BarbH 09-06-2011 04:29 PM

Ideas for cleaning sand inside

Over that past couple of months I have been thinking about doing a sand substrate in my 50 gallon. I have been thinking about doing playsand because of it's affordability. The one thing I would have to figure out is what would be the best way for me to clean the sand before placing it in the tank. I live in an apartment, so cleaning the sand outside with a garden hose, or using a utlility tub are not options. The most convenient way that I can think of is in the bath tub. Any ideas of the best way carrying this out? I do have a python type water changer system, that I could use to run to the tub. I think I remember once reading about someone placing the sand in a pillow case and than placing it in the shower to clean the sand, any thoughts of how well that might work?

k19smith 09-06-2011 04:36 PM

I've never heard the pillow case idea. I just put it in a bucket in my kitchen sink the particles that run off are small. Do make sure if you have any filters other than a sponge you turn them off while adding sand so it doesn't ruin your impellers, sand will eat up an impeller.

BarbH 09-06-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 815735)
I've never heard the pillow case idea. I just put it in a bucket in my kitchen sink the particles that run off are small. Do make sure if you have any filters other than a sponge you turn them off while adding sand so it doesn't ruin your impellers, sand will eat up an impeller.

Thanks, I have sponge filters running in this tank so don't have to worry about anything bring sucked up into the filter. If I do change the substrate I plan on doing a complete tear down taking everything and everyone out and do the change over. I am planning on placing a plant order soon, so I am thinking that if I do change the substrate I will wait until my plant order comes in. It will make is easier in redoing my aquascaping also then.

Strand 09-06-2011 05:16 PM

I just did this in my apt.

I used a 5 gallon bucket. Fill around 1/4 with sand then a little over half with water. Stir it up then pour out the water. I did this about 5 times.

BarbH 09-06-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strand (Post 815793)
I just did this in my apt.

I used a 5 gallon bucket. Fill around 1/4 with sand then a little over half with water. Stir it up then pour out the water. I did this about 5 times.

Thanks, I will probably either use the 5 gallon bucket I have, or I have a few smaller mop buckets that I had been using for when I was doing water changes via bucket method and set it up in the bath tub.

Strand 09-06-2011 09:23 PM

I did it in the kitchen sink. :-)

It's really easy, just don't go overboard on the sand in the bucket. 1/4 to a 1/3 full. Might take awhile with a 50 gallon. 5 buckets I'm guessing because it only took one with my 12 and 10.

thegabzzz 10-05-2011 08:48 PM

easy solution

when you get your sand, check if it comes in a woven type bag, with the plastic strips overlapping eachother so that you get small holes so the water drains out of. if so, grab your bag cut the top wide open and pour buckets of water (since hose isnt available) into the sand, the water should just pull all the dirt out.8-)

Chevelle 10-05-2011 09:02 PM

I use pool filter sand and never wash it. I've never had a problem.

gmate 10-05-2011 09:44 PM

I did it in my bathroom sink. Filled a 3 gallon tuperware half way with sand, washed it thoroughly like 4 times, dumped the 'washed' substrate into the empty tank. Then went and repeated it, until I had enough substrate on the bottom. Took me probably 15 minutes to wash the substrate for my 20 gallon tank, and used about 30 LBs of Playsand from Home Depot (which was 3 dollars for a 50lb bag). After running a filter for 24 hours it was completely crystal clear. I then switched filter media (that one was my 'sand' cartridge that got all nasty with sand) and put in media from another tank to kickstart cycling, with plants and some additional substrate from the other tank. Worked like a charm.

Good luck!

TL1000RSquid 10-06-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevelle (Post 851767)
I use pool filter sand and never wash it. I've never had a problem.

Same here, Pool sand is pretty clean as it comes, my LFS also sells decent sand for $15 for 25lbs which is very clean as well. Play sand is always dirty as hell I rather spend a few extra dollars on stuff I can just dump straight in the tank.