Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How many more corys could I add? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-many-more-corys-could-i-80197/)

BarbH 09-06-2011 01:41 PM

How many more corys could I add?

Right now in my 50 gallon 4ft long I have a group of 7 corys. Was thinking of increasing the group. I believe that I have the room for them but I wanted to see what others opinions are. The tank already has plants in it, and I am going to be getting ready shortly to add more plants to the tank. Other than the corys I have 2 bolivian rams and 2 rubberlipped plecos that are considered to be lower level fish. I was thinking about raising the number of corys to about 10 to 14.

ladayen 09-06-2011 02:34 PM

Hmm.. I would hold off. It seems you're failry close to max bioload and I've heard stories of rams not getting along with cories.

On a side note... eek Black Widow Tetra with Angelfish? How long have they been in the tank together? How are they getting along?

BarbH 09-06-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 815615)
Hmm.. I would hold off. It seems you're failry close to max bioload and I've heard stories of rams not getting along with cories.

On a side note... eek Black Widow Tetra with Angelfish? How long have they been in the tank together? How are they getting along?

The rams have been in the tank since June and they have not bothered any of the other fish including the corys.

The black widow tetras have been in the tank since May with the angels, and they have kept to themselves. Had made those choices based upon the fish profiles here on the site. Even though most will not recommend these together, in the profile it does list the black widow tetra as being compatiable with angels.

ladayen 09-06-2011 02:46 PM

Interesting..

Were the cories in the tank before the rams?

BarbH 09-06-2011 02:48 PM

Yes the corys where in the tank before the rams. The rams stay to themselves most of the time, and will even come up to the top when it is feeding time.

Byron 09-07-2011 11:14 AM

There is space for several more corys, same or different species. I wold go up to 20-25 in this sized tank (substrate area). Upper fish listed in the log do not affect my thinking here.

On the angels and black widow tetra, I guess I need to revise that profile; may have been half awake when I wrote it.:shock: But this is a case of where sufficient space can sometimes keep "questionable" fish more peaceful, though there is always the possibility that advancing years may change this behaviour.

Byron.

BarbH 09-07-2011 12:20 PM

Thanks Byron. I am thinking that I will wait to add more after I get my new plants and redo the substrate in the tank. Might even see what type of corys my one store that I visit most ofen might be able to order in for me.

Byron 09-07-2011 01:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 816778)
Thanks Byron. I am thinking that I will wait to add more after I get my new plants and redo the substrate in the tank. Might even see what type of corys my one store that I visit most ofen might be able to order in for me.

You should be here. One of my favourite shops is getting a shipment from Peru this week, with several wild corys. Including some very rare species, Corydoras fowleri, Corydoras reticulatus, Corydoras agassizii,... [drool, drool ;-)]. If they are OK I intend picking up a group of C. fowleri and possibly C. agassizii. I have 6 C. reticulatus, they are nice. C. fowleri and C. agassizii aren't in the profiles yet as I tend to add corys when I have the species myself, so look for them soon:-) but in the meantime, here are photos. C. agassizii is the spotted fellow. B.

Jbrofish8 09-07-2011 01:29 PM

C. agassizii is beautiful! I am so jealous. Post some pictures if you get them!

KendraMc 09-07-2011 01:29 PM

C. agassizii is really cute. i wish i had a decent LFS nearby :(