Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   killifish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/killifish-80180/)

KendraMc 09-06-2011 11:16 AM

killifish

I have a friend with a killifish, and i'm trying to learn more about them, but i don't seem to be finding them in the profiles. is there a different name i should be looking under?

this friend has a killifish and a dwarf gourami and wants to get one more fish, but since i don't know anything about killifish, i don't know what to recommend.

Byron 09-06-2011 03:41 PM

I have not added any killifish to the profiles yet, simply because no one has expressed interest. Killifish have come up in one or two threads in my 2+ years here, but the interest didn't seem large so I have been working on other species. Prior to my involvment, there were no killifish profiles either.

If you give me the species, I can probably direct you to some info since we don't have it. But there are many different species with very different needs and behaviours.

Byron.

KendraMc 09-06-2011 03:43 PM

striped panchax killifish would be my guess, based on a quick google search. it is about 2 inches long, very streamline, and bright yellow.

Byron 09-06-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 815634)
striped panchax killifish would be my guess, based on a quick google search. it is about 2 inches long, very streamline, and bright yellow.

Try this:
Tropical fish - Aplocheilus lineatus - Striped panchax, Lineatus panchax

KendraMc 09-06-2011 04:00 PM

so, judging by that information, anything a dwarf gourami would be ok with the killifish should be ok with too. does that sound about right?

Jbrofish8 09-06-2011 04:04 PM

I too was thinking about getting into some killfish, I couldn't find enough info so I didn't want to risk it. >.<

I dont have a specific species in mind, just in general.. are they shoaling? Can they be tank mates with dwarf cichlids? Apistogrammas or German Blue Rams? What size tank is needed usually.

Sorry for the super vague questions.. :(

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 09-06-2011 04:27 PM

I have a pair of Mamfensis Panchax killifish in a ten gallon and they are very interesting. No, there not shoaling fish. Also, they should be fine with dwarf cichlids as long as the tank is larger. I would say the minimum for killifish is 10 gallons because they will hang out in one spot but also like to move around.

Byron 09-06-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 815670)
so, judging by that information, anything a dwarf gourami would be ok with the killifish should be ok with too. does that sound about right?

I would tend to think of killifish as species-only in small (but appropriate-sized) well-planted tanks. I'm being very general. My personal experience with them is limited to a couple species (not this one) from the 1980's.