Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   octopus? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/octopus-8013/)

Jmoney 09-02-2007 11:29 AM

octopus?

I am thinking about buying a 100G tank with a big bubble on the front and putting an octopus in it?

how hard would it be to take of one and is there any other fish that would be compatible with it?

also, does anyone know of any sites that sell octopus, a couple of the lfs's around me say that sometimes they get them, but usually only around october.

Lupin 09-02-2007 05:31 PM

What species are you planning to get?

caferacermike 09-02-2007 09:42 PM

You will need to plan a lot more for this than you can ever imagine.

Most are cold water species and you will need a very expensive chiller.

Please understand you may never see the octopus again in a 100g tank. The ones for sale tend to be small and can camouflage so well you might not see it right in front of your eyes. Not only that but they are very secretive and avoid being seen.

They are extremely short lived, maybe 6 months to a year at best.

You must secure the tank in ways you never imagined. A 4lb octopus can squeeze through a 1/2" hole.

Filtration is almost impossible and weekly, if not more often, water changes need to be completed. Powerheads and filters make octopus into great calamari.

There are plenty of reference materials out there. I'd say to start simply by ordering Coral Magazine that was dedicated to octopus. Then read, read and read some more. It may prove a lot more difficult and fussy than you ever imagined.

gymnothorax 09-19-2007 10:56 PM

if you're dedicated to constant monitoring of the aquarium's parameters, and have time to do water changes very often, they're not extremely hard to keep. In a 100g I would recomend either a O. Bimaculatus, or an O. Vulgaris. Both of these are somewhat larger species with a considerable survival record in captivity, and take it from me, both species are very interactive. make sure the take is well sealed and definetly don't cut any corners on filtration! As far as websites to order them from, i couldn't tell you, but talk to your lfs and see if they can locate either of the above species. If you're still interested take a look at www.tonmo.com

novicedave 11-11-2007 12:50 PM

octopus

i had one in a my tank back 1986..i thought it was the coolest thing ever. i would hand feed him and he was doing great for months. then one day i made him mad while trying to feed him...he inked. i did a 50% water change but i guess it was not enough. every thing else in my tank died. after that i just came to the conclusion that they probally ought not to be kept with other specimens..although i only had a 29 tall back then. definitely do your home work before you enter this endeavor. i lost a panther grouper a sea urchin some damsels,crabs and snails. i wish i would not had been so quick and did more research then...
good luck