Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Light levels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/light-levels-80078/)

JImi 09-05-2011 09:33 AM

Light levels

Hi all,

I keep seeing different light set ups and I was just wondering if my lighting rig is too much or too little for my tank.

I have DIY Co2, getting to be heavily planted.

I have
1 x 48" 54w T5 HO Hagen Life Glo 6400k
1 x 48" 54w T5 HO Arcadia Tropical 6400k

With one big T8 size reflector behind them both.

My tank is 18" in height.

What do you think?

Byron 09-05-2011 11:45 AM

Assuming this is a 4-foot long tank (a 55g or 70g) with two T5 HO tubes you will have plenty of light to balance CO2 diffusion.

You will need nutrient supplementation, perhaps daily. Flourish Comp is not the best for this, so I wuld look into individual nutrients. Dry nutrients are usually more economical in high-tech setups. Or if you prefer you can use the other products in the Flourish line, the Flourish Nitrogen, Pottasium, Iron and trace elements [think I've got them named correctly].

And I would certainly have floating plants to help the fishies. And help keep algae at bay. The duration of the light period will also have to be worked out. All about balance again.

Byron.

JImi 09-05-2011 02:48 PM

Thanks Byron

At the moment that sword variant at the back gives quite a lot of shade from the leaves that sit on the top of the tank. I put in 25ml of Sera Florena once a week after a weekly 1/4 water change. Will this not suffice? I notice the plants are still a growing leaves that are a little holey. I had snails at one point but these have pretty much been eradicated by the yoyo's.

Jimi

Byron 09-05-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JImi (Post 814334)
Thanks Byron

At the moment that sword variant at the back gives quite a lot of shade from the leaves that sit on the top of the tank. I put in 25ml of Sera Florena once a week after a weekly 1/4 water change. Will this not suffice? I notice the plants are still a growing leaves that are a little holey. I had snails at one point but these have pretty much been eradicated by the yoyo's.

Jimi

That is difficult for me to answer, because I have never gone down this road. You need to find the balance between light and nutrients (including the CO2). Daily dose of ferts is common in high-tech setups. Mikaila34 has experience with this; and 1077 has written of dry ferts. If they are around, I'm sure they will comment, or a PM asking them to enter the discussion perhaps.

JImi 09-05-2011 02:59 PM

OK Byron, many thanks and apologies for the many different threads running!