Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about water stains (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-water-stains-80067/)

HawaiianFish 09-05-2011 04:38 AM

Question about water stains...should I get a new tank?

Hello everyone,

I picked up a used 55 gal tank from craigslist for $30. I tried to clean the hard water stains without much success. I used vinegar, vinegar with baking soda, bleach, and a razor blade. The stains do not go away. I am at the point where I might just buy a new tank for $200 from the local fish store.

My question is there anything else I can try?

My other question is, will my new tank eventually get these water stains if I clean the tank regularly and wipe up any spilt water on the outside of the tank?

I really do not want to buy a new tank if it's just going to end up looking like the tank I have now.

Thanks everyone!

Romad 09-05-2011 08:08 AM

You can try using a product called CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover). I'd be careful not to get it on the seals but that may be overly cautious on my part?? I wouldn't chance it IMO.

You'd obviously have to rinse it many times afterwards to make sure all residue is removed. Good luck.

HawaiianFish 09-05-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 813859)
You can try using a product called CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover). I'd be careful not to get it on the seals but that may be overly cautious on my part?? I wouldn't chance it IMO.

You'd obviously have to rinse it many times afterwards to make sure all residue is removed. Good luck.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you think it would be worth it to buy a new tank ? Or will the new tank eventually become water stained in the near future?

teddyzaper 09-05-2011 12:07 PM

if you clean the tank it wont get stained.

HawaiianFish 09-05-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 814122)
if you clean the tank it wont get stained.

Do you think the $200 price is worth the clean glass? I mean it sucks not being able to see into the tank clearly...the water stains makes the water look dirty.

HawaiianFish 09-05-2011 01:33 PM

Ok I even tried the CLR and that spray doesnt really do anything...I dont know what to do now other then buy a new tank...any last suggestions before I spend $200?

k19smith 09-05-2011 08:08 PM

The thing I've found is letting what ever your cleaning with sit and soak for a long time. I myself would not go buy a new tank. With a lot of elbow grease you should be able to get it clean.

Boredomb 09-06-2011 10:21 AM

My used 55 gallon is that way. I tried everything but CLR. I just filled it with water after the cleaning. When it is full I can nott see the spots. Yours maybe the same.

1077 09-06-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 815365)
My used 55 gallon is that way. I tried everything but CLR. I just filled it with water after the cleaning. When it is full I can nott see the spots. Yours maybe the same.

+one, Sometimes when you fill the tank, the stains almost aren't noticeable.
Can also paint the outside glass on side that is the worst and use this side as back, and other side for front.

Christople 09-06-2011 10:43 AM

fill it up and then clean it... I had the same problem with my ten gallon at my other house... It had a hardness of like 20 dgh