Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Electric Yellow cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/electric-yellow-cichlids-7987/)

FISHSD 08-31-2007 08:49 PM

Electric Yellow cichlids

I have 4 electric yellow cichlids in my 29 gallon tank. They are all different sizes, the first one i got is 2 inches. I then got another one that was like 1.5inches. I think both of them are females. The bigger one constantly chased the one into hiding. I then got another one who is like 2.5 inches and almost positive its a male as it is the dominate one in the tank. I then added a 3 inch one to my tank a week ago which the fish store guy said was a female since her chin was strecthed because she had already had babies. So anyways my real questions are when i put the new one in i saw reallly wierd behavior from the 2.5 dominant one and new one. They were swimming in circles together and liplocking until the 3 inch one finally backed off. I've read that this is a sign of breeding. So what does that little show mean??? But as of right now the little one now swims around the tank a lot more and all of them hang out even though the 2.5 inch one chases them around soemtimes.

jeaninel 09-01-2007 03:18 AM

They could just be getting to know each other and establishing dominance. Maybe someone more familiar with Africans has some ideas? Sorry I'm not much help.

GregV 09-01-2007 01:33 PM

i have electric yellows myself, and they have breed, sounds like they where having some fun,

If my yellows fight they are usually just chasing eachother,

when they where doing the liplock / circles, where they chasing eachother or side by side?

side by side or upside down usually indicated an attempt at breeding, tho ive never actually seen my yellows mate, only there fry one morning.

I do know however that some species like the Rainbow shark will actually bash its head against an opponant, i would say if your yellows where not to rough with eachother it was mating.

P.S remember when you get a new cichlid to alwats move around plants and rocks so there will be no territory fights.

FISHSD 09-01-2007 06:22 PM

They were swimming around in circles in like a 5 inch space for a while and then just started liplocking thing. The bigger one then finally stopped. It doesnt seem like the one is holding any eggs though.

FISHSD 09-03-2007 01:15 PM

Do you guys think this is a sign of breeding or its two males fighting??

GregV 09-04-2007 11:36 AM

well, Is it continous or have they stoped?

if it was breeding the female will eventually get a square jaw and rarely open its mouth/eat until she releases the babies.

FISHSD 09-04-2007 07:57 PM

It was just that once. Also it eats a lot so taht is why i didnt think that it was holding any eggs. The guy at the fish store assured it was a female though becuase of its jaw being wider and bigger or something from the last time she was holding eggs.

GregV 09-04-2007 08:05 PM

I wouldnt worry then, maybe it was a failed attempt at mating. maybe a little tussel for territory,

sorry i cant elborate further

FISHSD 09-04-2007 10:04 PM

I think I think I think one of my other cichlids might be holding!!!! :D It is the 2 inch one and the last couple of days i have noticed that it was hiding under a rock at the back of the tank and i was kinda worried. But just now i saw it jaw and it was completely flat at the bottom. What are other signs of holding eggs??

Sorry that i am so excited but its my first cichlid thats pregnant or it least i hope is pregnant. Bare with my excitement even though youre probably thinking its lame that i am so excited. :oops:

GregV 09-04-2007 10:35 PM

not at all! the first time I saw little yellows in my tank i was flipping off the walls

the main signs of pregnacy in an Electric yellow will be its jaw, again not opening its mouth, reducing to no eating. I have read that yellows actually dont usually hide when pregnant so i cannot confirm if its a reputable source, from what I have seen It can go either way.

if you see her jaw change shape this is usually a good sign, i think yellows are similar to M.cyaneorhabdos (sp:?) in the fact that they bare 10 + young a litter.

so yes there is a good chance your yellows are or will breed they breed vary redily in the right conditions! (mine do so, so much i contemplating a fish nutering! lol j/k)

so yes just keep an eye on the suspect, the female doesnt have to be removed from your tank, but if you are certain she is holding, you will want to move her to save the fry if your tank doesnt have very many hiding spots, as the males get agressive during breeding and may kill even there own litter.

Also dont be alarmed if you move the mother and she seems to be along the bottom with her mouth wide open, as she is gathering the fry in her mouth for protection.

(p.s if anyone knows more about yellows then me feel free to correct me, this is my combined knowlage plus what i have read about the species).