Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   How to set up a tank for Bumblebee Platies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/how-set-up-tank-bumblebee-platies-79855/)

platyfishlover123 09-02-2011 06:45 PM

How to set up a tank for Bumblebee Platies?

I am getting a 10 gallon tank soon for my two bumblebee platies and will use the five gallon for her babies. She is pregnant now and I expect them in the next few weeks. One is male and the other is female, they both are traditional Bumblebee Platies from Petco. I know I have many questions but any information on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

How many platies could I have in a 10 gallon tank?
How should I set it up?
What is the best method to make sure almost all of the babies live?
How much are 10 gallon tanks?
A checklist of things for having baby platies?

snaillover1232 09-03-2011 11:25 AM

Tanks can var payment but sometimes you can find them sort of cheap

BarbH 09-03-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platyfishlover123 (Post 810324)
I am getting a 10 gallon tank soon for my two bumblebee platies and will use the five gallon for her babies. She is pregnant now and I expect them in the next few weeks. One is male and the other is female, they both are traditional Bumblebee Platies from Petco. I know I have many questions but any information on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

How many platies could I have in a 10 gallon tank?
How should I set it up?
What is the best method to make sure almost all of the babies live?
How much are 10 gallon tanks?
A checklist of things for having baby platies?

With a 10 gal you could do 2 or 3 females and one male. I would not do much more than that since livebearers do produce a heavier bioload than other fish. For setup gravel substrate will be fine you can do either live or fake plants. I would use a basic sponge filter, with a HOB filter you have the possibility of having any fry that are dropped in the main tank being sucked up into the intake of the filter unless you use either a sponge or mesh to cover the intake, piece of pantyhose works well for this. Cost of 10 gallon tanks will vary from area to area. You can either buy a starter kit, which most of the time I have found that most of the stuff that are in those you end up replacing anyways, or you can buy the items individually. To help save money you can look at buying things like your filter, heater and even hood online, prices are usually better than what you can get locally. Foster and Smiths is a good site on pricing and they offer free shipping on orders over $49. Big Al's is another one that is good although their free shipping is for orders over $75 dollars and they do have some exceptions, you have to pay extra on shipping on things like substrate, or other items that are over a certain weight.

For the fry tank I would keep with a very basic set up, bare bottom, which will make it easier in cleaning. Sponge filter, heater, and you can add some floating plants if you want. While there are no fry in this tank you can place the pregnant female in there to allow her to drop her fry. Once she has dropped her fry place her back into the main tank. With the fry tank you will need to do frequent water changes, daily wc of about 10% is good, this will help in keeping the water clean and will also promote growth of the fry. For feeding them you can either buy food that is specifically for fry, it is a powder that the fry can eat, or you can use flake food that you grind up real fine. Need to make sure that it is small enough for the fry to eat. I find it easier to use the powder fry food, I found a small container for a few bucks and in the month and half that I have been using it, have only used about a quarter of it. Once the fry have gotten large enough that they will not fit into the mouths of the largest fish you can add them with the other fish. One thing is you will want to make sure you have a way of getting rid of all the fry that you will have, you can check and see with your local fish stores if they will buy from local breeders. A female can drop as little as 10 fry up to over 40 in one drop.

If possible you may want to consider getting a larger tank if possible, a 15 gallon or 20 gallon will give you more space and as the fry get larger and can be moved you will have more room for the babies. Also on tanks check out craigslist, sometimes you can find some really good deals on tanks and setups.

platyfishlover123 09-03-2011 06:58 PM

Thank you sooooo much for this information. I am now searching for a 20 gallon tank for my platys. And have been getting offers on my Bumblebee Platy fry that will be coming d]soon :) again thank you sooo much!

BarbH 09-03-2011 11:20 PM

Your welcome :-D

platyfishlover123 09-05-2011 09:07 AM

How many Bumblebee Platys could I have in a 20 gallon?

BarbH 09-05-2011 10:40 AM

You could keep up to about 10 platys in a 20 gallon, but if you are wanting to move some of the fry over eventually I would do less than that so that you have room.

platyfishlover123 09-05-2011 10:43 AM

OKay thnk you soo much!!!!

platyfishlover123 09-05-2011 10:49 AM

Do you think I could put Saltwater snails in there? I heard that they breath air too and was wondering if it would be possible to have them in the same tank as my fish?

BarbH 09-05-2011 10:56 AM

I would not do snails that are meant for saltwater. But there is large selection of freshwater snails that you can choose from. Mystery snails, ramshorn snails, Malaysian trumpet snails, are a few.