Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about about my tank/plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/question-about-about-my-tank-plants-79710/)

Boredomb 09-01-2011 04:00 PM

Question about about my tank/plants?

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35982
Here is a picture of my current setup. I was thinking of changing it up a little by adding some new plants to it or/and taking some out ( not sure about taking some out yet) I was looking for some suggestions as to what I could add?

One plant I was thinking about adding was a type of moss not sure as to which would work. I can get java moss locally but anything else would have to be ordered. I was kinda thinking about adding it to the wood on the left side or maybe even to the center piece.

I am also thinking about getting some pennywort to use a s floating plant. I had duckweed but it had to go! I didn't not like it at all. It grew way to fast and was hard to keep under control.

2nd question I have is Some of my jungle val. is turning yellowish. I am assuming this is a nutreint deficiency? There is atleast one plant liket that in the three groups i have. Here are some of the pics

Attachment 35983
Attachment 35984
Attachment 35985

I add flourish comprehensive once a week. I have eco complete for substrate also though I don't know how much it is helping now? LoL

Boredomb 09-01-2011 07:42 PM

No one? I have heard that jungle val tend to turn yellowish/brownish/reddish forwards the top when the light is bright. Is this true?

yodapoolman 09-01-2011 09:24 PM

I'm curious on the Val as well. I think your tank looks really lush and vibrant tho, great job!

Boredomb 09-01-2011 09:36 PM

Thank you yoda! I think it needs alittle something else lol. As for the val. That's what I have heard today though I don't know if it is true. It would make some sense being it didn't really start doing that until I removed all my duckweed. So maybe there is some truth there?

bigfish93 09-02-2011 09:52 AM

That is a beautiful aquarium! I also think that it is nutrient deficiency due to the increase in light. The duckweed was probably blocking some light and now the vals are getting more light, therefore they need more nutrients.

Boredomb 09-02-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish93 (Post 809739)
That is a beautiful aquarium! I also think that it is nutrient deficiency due to the increase in light. The duckweed was probably blocking some light and now the vals are getting more light, therefore they need more nutrients.

Thank you bigfish! I am starting to think the same thing about the plants am waiting a week or two and see if it is still the same if so then I might up the dosage to 2x week?

Byron 09-02-2011 10:51 AM

The yellow leaves are nutrient related, but I am not certain the light "increase" is necessarily responsible. What are the light specs (type of tubes, number, watts, K, etc)?

For the amount of plants, I would do twice weekly Flourish, though I may change that opinion when I know the light specs.

What is your water hardness and pH? Valls always do better in harder water, though they can manage in soft as mine are.

How long has this tank been running with the Eco-complete? It takes a while to get going.

Nice aquascape though. The only plants i would add are floating, you definitely need some for the angels to shade that light a bit. I agree, duckweed would not be my choice in this setup either. Pennywort will work, as will Water Sprite. Both will grow well and need weekly trimming/pruning during the water change, but that is fine.

Byron.

Boredomb 09-02-2011 11:22 AM

The lights are 48"GE bulbs 32watt 6500k daylight there are 2 of them.
The tank has been running for 5 months with Eco complete. Well its been running 5 months period with everything in it minus the angel. Those are new. The val has been fine up to this point so has me kinda connfused.
The duckweed was crazy in that tank. It grew like a well a weed LoL. I have been wanting pennywort just cant find any.
As far as the GH and the Ph I will check them and let you know what it is for sure.

Boredomb 09-02-2011 11:57 AM

GH is 179 ppm, PH is 7.6, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10, Ammonia .25 (has never been lower then this in 5 months)
KH 143.2 ppm.

Byron 09-02-2011 12:05 PM

OK, increase Flurish Comp to twice weekly. My 70g [this is a 55g here, I believe?] with same lighting and Flourite substrate needs twice weekly Flourish, and it has beeen 5-6 months too. If your tap water was harder, I might suggest Flourish Trace as well as Comp weekly, but it is not that hard and the calcium and magnesium in Comp is not excessive, so you might as well use what you have rather than spending more money for Trace (which has to be used more often I believe).

The other plants look fine, and I see no reason this increase will have any issues there.

Byron.