Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Salt as an aid for fish where nitrites are high (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/salt-aid-fish-where-nitrites-high-79667/)

Snappyarcher 09-01-2011 05:27 AM

Salt as an aid for fish where nitrites are high

Does anyone know of any evidence to suggest that the addition of aquarium salt will help the fish where the nitrites have been high and are now on the way down? The fish in question is a Betta splendens and two guppies in a 25 litre nano with filter and temp of 24. C .... Nitrites sat at about 0.8 mg/ l but declining .... Any other advice very welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 09-01-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappyarcher (Post 808031)
Does anyone know of any evidence to suggest that the addition of aquarium salt will help the fish where the nitrites have been high and are now on the way down? The fish in question is a Betta splendens and two guppies in a 25 litre nano with filter and temp of 24. C .... Nitrites sat at about 0.8 mg/ l but declining .... Any other advice very welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

Have read that nitrite's at elevated level's hamper the fishes blood from transporting oxygen and chloride ion in salt, is said to retard the effect's.
Water change would be much quicker way of diluting nitrite's.

Snappyarcher 09-01-2011 06:28 AM

Oh yes the water changes are on going but I'm thinking if remedial assistance for the fish while I'm doing the water changes and the nitrites are declining.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 09-01-2011 01:20 PM

Yes, salt will help with nitrites but there are other detrimental effects to salt that limit its usefulness with soft water fish such as Betta. I tried to find my reference material on how salt does this, but the site isn't working, so I'll leave that. There is a safer method [below]. Adding salt which would increase the fish's stress is only compounding the stress already being experienced.

If nitrite is above zero, daily partial water changes of 50% are recommended, using a conditioner that detoxifies nitrite. Prime and Ultimate will do this. There may be others I am not aware of, but most of the common conditioners do not handle nitrite.

Prime detoxifies it for up to 48 hours. During this, nitrite test kits will still read {"nitrite" even though it is in a bound form and "safe." After 48 hours, if it still shows in tests, nitrite in toxic form is still present, so another water change.

Byron.

Snappyarcher 09-01-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 808533)
Yes, salt will help with nitrites but there are other detrimental effects to salt that limit its usefulness with soft water fish such as Betta. I tried to find my reference material on how salt does this, but the site isn't working, so I'll leave that. There is a safer method [below]. Adding salt which would increase the fish's stress is only compounding the stress already being experienced.

If nitrite is above zero, daily partial water changes of 50% are recommended, using a conditioner that detoxifies nitrite. Prime and Ultimate will do this. There may be others I am not aware of, but most of the common conditioners do not handle nitrite.

Prime detoxifies it for up to 48 hours. During this, nitrite test kits will still read {"nitrite" even though it is in a bound form and "safe." After 48 hours, if it still shows in tests, nitrite in toxic form is still present, so another water change.

Byron.

Posted via Mobile Device

Snappyarcher 09-01-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 808533)
Thanks mate much appreciated! Are these products American or uk?

Byron.

Posted via Mobile Device