Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Mystery Snails mating! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/mystery-snails-mating-79623/)

crazyplaty 08-31-2011 06:37 PM

Mystery Snails mating!

so i have had a gold snail for a couple months now and she is about full size, today i decided to get another snail so she wasnt alone, i got a black one and he is about half the size of the gold one. after putting the new one in the tank (about 30 min) they started to mate!

this is all still new to me since i just set up my aquarium about 2 1/2 months and i am still learning about the fish i have including the snails. so does anyone know how long it can take after snail mate for eggs to show up? also does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do when eggs are laid so they dont all get eaten by other fish?

patadams66 08-31-2011 09:20 PM

i think i remember that mystery snails lay eggs above the water line?

thats about all i can remember. haha

crazyplaty 09-01-2011 06:41 PM

thanks, any insight is much appreciated lol

jenilee 10-03-2011 08:41 PM

I had mystery snails before, it starts out slow (ish) but soon there will be to much snails in your tank. they will get into your filter and jam the motor. if they are the gold ones they lay eggs above the water line and if it is black they leave a clear sludge in the water.

patadams66 10-03-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenilee (Post 849706)
I had mystery snails before, it starts out slow (ish) but soon there will be to much snails in your tank. they will get into your filter and jam the motor. if they are the gold ones they lay eggs above the water line and if it is black they leave a clear sludge in the water.

i have had mutiple mystery snails and never had a problem with them reproducing at all, in fact they never have reproduced

MTS and pond snails are another story.

crazyplaty 10-04-2011 09:30 AM

yeah so far no eggs have been found, they dont seem to mate as often as they did either, but i do look every once in a while to see if there are any

puppyrjjkm 10-14-2011 08:02 PM

I just had the same thing happen! Didn't see any eggs until I cleaned the tank and took off the hood. Inside the hood there was a large "crystalized sack" of eggs underneath! Ick! So I took them off and threw them out and promptly moved one of the snails to another tank. Good luck!

rhessling 10-15-2011 02:31 AM

from what i have learned is it take two weeks for the eggs to hatch and they are layed just above the water line they need to be omoist but do not put them under water. a lot of time i think when you add a new snail they get to know each other and are not actually mateing