Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   what can live with hillstream loaches (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/what-can-live-hillstream-loaches-79612/)

KendraMc 08-31-2011 04:01 PM

what can live with hillstream loaches

while this does not apply to my current tank, i think hillstream loaches are quite interesting and would love to have some at some point. i noticed in their profile that they need cooler and faster moving water than most fish like. what other fish are there that can be happy with that? i'm sure i could find something if i went through all of the profiles, but there are a lot and if someone happens to know or have ideas even it would be a lot easier than looking at each profile to see if it would work.

Byron 09-01-2011 01:40 PM

Tankmates need two major requirements: cooler temp as you mention, and faster water flow.

White Cloud Mountain Minnow works very well, in a group. Among the barbs, Puntius padamya, Puntius semifasciolatus. Macropodus opercularis (this is a bit aggressive, should be OK with the loaches but not the other fish). Some of the Danio and Devarrio species under Cyprinids in the profiles.

KendraMc 09-01-2011 01:59 PM

ooh, now i'm even more interested in having a tank for these fish :) some of those tankmate options would be really fun too.

Byron 09-01-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 808600)
ooh, now i'm even more interested in having a tank for these fish :) some of those tankmate options would be really fun too.

Don't know what size tank this is, some of those mentioned need some room, all (except the Paradise) are shoaling fish requiring a group. So watch that.

KendraMc 09-01-2011 03:49 PM

i'm planning on a good sized tank, so i should be ok. do you think 55 gal would be ok for the loaches, minnows, and one kind of the barbs? probably groups of 6-10 depending.

Byron 09-01-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 808754)
i'm planning on a good sized tank, so i should be ok. do you think 55 gal would be ok for the loaches, minnows, and one kind of the barbs? probably groups of 6-10 depending.

Leaving aside any compatibility issues since we don't know the exact species, in a 55g you could have this and another species or two.

DysontheLoach 02-03-2012 09:34 AM

I would disagree, not with anybody persay, but!! I have a hilstream loach with other fish including goldfish and dragon goby, and some plecos.. They all are very healthy and happy, my loach swims freely and plays with the plecos. I get from the research side of it that what i have together dont go together, and temperature levels arent on, but i guess ive done a good job cause they are healthy and happy. the tank is always crystal clear and the levels are perfect. and its a 55 gallon.