Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Smallest HOB filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/smallest-hob-filter-79588/)

Robanada 08-31-2011 11:50 AM

Smallest HOB filter?

Hey guys, I built a 5 gal DIY tank for a specific application, and there is only a 4" space in the back for a HOB filter. The only filter I could find that would fit is the Red Sea Nano Filter. I've been building this tank for 2 years and between the time that I bought the Red Sea Nano Filter and the present, it has stopped working (which is odd, since I used it once to check that it worked, and then put it back in the box). So before buying another one so prone to failure, I thought I'd ask if any of you knew of any small(er) HOB filters?

The Red Sea Nano Filter was only recommended for 3gal tanks, whereas mine is a 5gal. I added a DIY sponge filter to supplement the HOB, but I have no idea what its filtering capacity is. Kind of OT, but any idea how to check the flowrate/capacity of that sponge filter?

BarbH 08-31-2011 12:06 PM

What are you going to be putting in the 5 gallon? More than likely you will be prefectly fine with a sponge filter. I have a diy sponge in my 5 gallon which I made from one of the filter replacements from the elite sponge filter, it is the smaller one that has a plastic box frame that sticks on to the glass. I made a hole into the sponge insert and placed my airline tubing into it. It has worked well for me.

Robanada 08-31-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 807021)
What are you going to be putting in the 5 gallon? More than likely you will be prefectly fine with a sponge filter. I have a diy sponge in my 5 gallon which I made from one of the filter replacements from the elite sponge filter, it is the smaller one that has a plastic box frame that sticks on to the glass. I made a hole into the sponge insert and placed my airline tubing into it. It has worked well for me.

Hahaha, that's very similar to what I did here!

I bought the single Hagen Elite Sponge Filter, was dissatisfied with the bubble size, and so I made my own from the pieces. Did you end up cutting the sponge, or using a shorter lift tube? My lift tube is about 6-8" (8 if you include the airstone).

I'll probably put in a few tetras or guppies, or maybe zebra danios- I'm really not sure at this point! I figure I need to let the aquarium cycle first before I even need to make a decision. Probably the tetras though (maybe 4 or 5 of them?). I might get a shrimp or two, too.

I always thought that the sponge filters were kinda sketchy, so I'm hesitant to use it as my primary filter. It'd sure be nice though...

BarbH 08-31-2011 12:25 PM

With my diy sponge filter, very simple no lift tube. Have it in the tank with a betta and two mystery snails. Have had no problems with it. On all my other tanks I am also running sponge filters, in my 50 gallon I have two one in each corner. All the tanks are cycled other than my lastest 20 gallon grow out which I set up over the weekend. I have had no problems with my water parameters, and other than the 50 which is planted I make sure to vacuum the gravel well when doing water changes.

Robanada 09-01-2011 02:56 AM

Hmm, how does that work with no lift tube? The bubbles go through the sponge, or what?

I guess I should be fine then with my 5 gal xD

BarbH 09-01-2011 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robanada (Post 808005)
Hmm, how does that work with no lift tube? The bubbles go through the sponge, or what?

I guess I should be fine then with my 5 gal xD

Yes the bubbles come right through the sponge. Here is a couple of pictures.

Robanada 09-01-2011 04:53 PM

All right, thanks! I'll try it out.

BarbH 09-02-2011 12:00 AM

Your welcome and good luck, I orginally got the idea off of youtube, the person was using sponges that you would use for cleaning, but I wanted to make sure that what I used was definitly suitable for aquarium use. If I remember right it only cost me a few dollars for the sponge replacements, which came two in the package.